What clock movement ?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by S1ider, Apr 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. S1ider

S1ider Registered User

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hopefully someone can help me on recommending a clock movement for my case. Its a gothic architectural style case made from Oak but i just cant find a movement for it. The dial diameter is only approx 7 cm with what appears to be a front winding hole and it would need to be a balance wheel escapement. A movement that small seems to be hard to find that winds from the front. The rear has slots for letters / documents and drawers below that. Also any idea of the origins of this type of clock. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Steve

WP_20200401_18_08_37_Pro.jpg WP_20200401_18_08_30_Pro.jpg WP_20200401_18_03_12_Pro.jpg WP_20200401_18_02_58_Pro.jpg

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a beautiful case. Finding an old wind-up movement with the winding arbor hole and the center arbor lining up right is gonna be tough. You may just put a long shaft quartz movement in temporarily until you find one. How thick is the wood where the two holes are? I have lots of old movements in my bone pile. I will look if you wish.

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve,

Inserting a quartz movement maybe the best option for two reasons below:.

There were small clock movements produced in us with balance wheels however they were typically back wound with a built in key they required circular opening.

European verge watch were often front wound, but not typically at 6 o'clock position.

Andy Dervan

4. S1ider

S1ider Registered User

May 10, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for your input Andy. I understand your points but i have to say inserting a quartz movement i think would do the case a distrust. I do have some work to do to the case and have some of the finials that belong on top but if there was a mechanical movement in there before then there must be some about now hopefully. Looking at the mounting in the rear it may have had 3 mounting points.

5. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The size of the movement needed is about the size of a watch movement (which I think was in it), maybe post this in that forum and see what the watch guys think. Nice case and worth the effort to fix.

6. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New Haven made small clock movements with keywind on back that were used in small porcelain and Colonial Mfg Co. made some mini grandfather clocks that the company used in them.

Colonial miniature GF # 100.jpg