What can you tell me....

Big-A

Sep 15, 2014
I have my great, great grandfathers pocket watch and I am trying to get more information in regards to it's age and value. From what I can tell myself, the inside of the watch shows:

Regina Watch Co. Swiss
17 Jewells Adjusted
2 positions

The serial number is just over 5000000.

The engravings on the case are:

A.W.C Co.
585 Fine
Case Made in Canada

Attached to this watch is a fantastic story, which will always supersede any monetary value it may or may not have. My great, great grandfather was presented this watch by a small Ontario village for their appreciation for the apprehension and arrest of a notorious Ontario criminal, Orval Shaw. It's an amazing story and this watch connects our family to this exciting piece of history.

I will try to upload some pictures shortly.

Thank you for any information in advance.

Big-A

Sep 15, 2014
Yes, this is a great article that only tells a very small portion of the story surrounding Orval Shaw. There is an even more detailed account in a book titled The Desperate Ones - Forgotten Canadian Outlaws.

I guess I just want to know what the value of the watch that my great, great grandfather received would be today. I think I was able to find on my own the approximate date of manufacture for the mechanical portion of the watch which is somewhere between 1916 and 1930. I am now more curious about the age and value of the case or any information that can be provided about it. Also, after looking very closely, there are a series of very tiny etched numbers on the inside of the case where the company marking and serial number are. It looks like they were done free hand.....but they are soooooo tiny. Who would have done this and what would be the purpose

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
We do values in a special, for pay, section, but for most watches with gold cases the values is almost entirely that of the case. The exceptions ore prestige names and otherwise very fine or complcated movements.

MartyR

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
The tiny scratched numbers are repairers' marks ... which would probably show the date of repair and maybe the nature of repair ... if only we could decipher them! Every repairer used his own codes.

jfl

NAWCC Member
May 1, 2006
Regina was made by Omega, the serial number is from 1916. I hope that this helps.
jfl

I have my great, great grandfathers pocket watch and I am trying to get more information in regards to it's age and value. From what I can tell myself, the inside of the watch shows:

Regina Watch Co. Swiss
17 Jewells Adjusted
2 positions

The serial number is just over 5000000.

The engravings on the case are:

A.W.C Co.
585 Fine
Case Made in Canada

Attached to this watch is a fantastic story, which will always supersede any monetary value it may or may not have. My great, great grandfather was presented this watch by a small Ontario village for their appreciation for the apprehension and arrest of a notorious Ontario criminal, Orval Shaw. It's an amazing story and this watch connects our family to this exciting piece of history.

I will try to upload some pictures shortly.

Thank you for any information in advance.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions