What can you tell me about pendulum weight for anniversary clocks?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by gvasale, Jul 9, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I played with one of my clocks today and noticed that the pendulum for this one is very heavy (Schatz 49 with auxiliary spring) compared to other clocks with the 4 ball pendulum. Also, it looks like it may run with a different spring than specified (time will tell). Any observations here?

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I played with one of my clocks today and noticed that the pendulum for this one is very heavy (Schatz 49 with auxiliary spring) compared to other clocks with the 4 ball pendulum. Also, it looks like it may run with a different spring than specified (time will tell). Any observations here?

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Schatz 49 original pendulum weighs about 12-1/2 ounces, one of the heaviest 4-Ball pendulums made. For comparison, the 1949 Kundo pendulum weighs 11-1/2 ounces. Kundo also made 4-Ball pendulums that look just like the 1949 version but weigh less, one at 10.5 ounces and one at 8.5 ounces.

What does this mean? In principle, the less the pendulum weighs the thinner the suspension spring required to keep the clock to time. That's why the Schatz 49 uses a 0.0040" spring and the Kundo 1949 version uses a 0.0032" spring. Remember that both clocks are running at the same 8 beats per minute!!

There is also a relationship to suspension spring length, but it is much less important than the thickness of the spring and the weight of the pendulum. The main thing is to check FIRST to see what the Repair Guide recommends, and start from there.

John Hubby

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi John and others. I am working on a Schatz model 49 clock. It has two weights made of lead, and two weights made of steel, the steelweights way less than the lead ones do. Can this affect time keeping? Thanks.

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What is the current total weight of the pendulum? Typically Schatz 49s have weights around 12.5 - 12.8 oz. As John indicated, weight does affect the time keeping...nominally Schatz 49 suspension springs run 0.004" thick.

Kurt

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt, i was just going to weigh the pendulum. I checked and it does have a .004 inch thick susp spring.

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just weighed it on a digital diet scale and i get 11 ounces even.
    I am thinking instead of changing the suspension spring could i not add weight to the pendulum in some way, perhaps washers.

8. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I had the same idea for a pendulum I had...I didn't find enough room under the cover to fit as much weight as I needed. Seems like you'll need some dense material to get another 1.5 oz. More than likely, you'd be better of doing one of two things. First, it would be best to come up with two new lead weights. Second, figure out what size suspension spring you need to use. Doing the first brings the clock back to "original" and the next repair person won't be scratching their head. I suppose if you were able to cram enough weight in there, that person would probably realize what's going on. The second one will present a head scratcher to the repair person...I guess seeing the weight difference might give them a clue that something else is not standard.

Kurt

9. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As i said the suspension spring is 4 thou thick, as the book calls for. I am thinking of adding weight, I prefer to add weight, and not change the suspension. I would prefer not to look for heavier balls. As its a customers clock, and he wishes to get it sooner than later. Thanks for your help Kurt.

10. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As it's obviously a mashup of parts, it might be best to see a picture of the pendulum to be sure just what it is you're dealing with.