What books should I buy?

towrope

Jun 6, 2002
Since I love books more than almost anything else I'll give my list of the ones I have found the most interesting since becoming interested in watches!
(1) Any book by Donald de Carle.
(2) Any book by Henry B Fried
(3) Any book by Claudius Saunier.
(4) Any book by or with George Daniels
(5) Old trade catalogs and manufacturer's literature.
Yes, some of these are expensive but I believe they contain the most information for the money. I would recommend any of them highly.

towrope

Jun 6, 2002
Since I love books more than almost anything else I'll give my list of the ones I have found the most interesting since becoming interested in watches!
(1) Any book by Donald de Carle.
(2) Any book by Henry B Fried
(3) Any book by Claudius Saunier.
(4) Any book by or with George Daniels
(5) Old trade catalogs and manufacturer's literature.
Yes, some of these are expensive but I believe they contain the most information for the money. I would recommend any of them highly.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
I think that the authors listed are ALL good,, in my opinion Daniels and Saunier are the best cited.

But I would say the answer to your question is buy any horological book you can aford, manz become rare very suddenly. I have bought abiut 4000 volumes over the years and have regretted few purchases.

------------------
FortunatMueller-Maerki, Sussex NJ

NAWCC Life # 174
Chair, NWCM Library and Research Center Committee

You can reach me at horology@horology.com

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
My favorite horological publications, excluding the couple I've written, are late 19th and early 20th century trade catalogs and price lists for American pocket watch makers, especially the smaller companies. A specific need at present is any info from such catalogs relating to Rockford watches during the period from 1883-1888.

I have some questions for our more knowledgeable horological book collectors about a couple of the very few old books I own. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Is Saunier's "Revue Chronometrique Premiere et Deuxieme Anne of 1857" among his more important works or was he mainly just the editor/compiler (no speaka da French)?

How does one identify a first edition of Kemlo's Watch-repairer's hand-book?

Thanks,

Greg

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
What to buy kind of depends on whether you want to learn about what out there, technology repair etc. From your selection it looks like you like technology and examples.

You might add to your list anything by Britten and also a real tour de force Von Bertele's Chronometers. Marvin Whitney's books are also very worthwhile.

Lastly I enjoyed Andrewes Proceeding of the Longitude Seminar.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuzzy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions