What are YOU wearing today? Please share!

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Bulova 214 Accutron. The Accutron and the numbers are applied and raised.

This is a A symmetrical case with a fairly rare dial that I have not seen before.

Frankly it is somewhat hard to read, I guess I am not into fashion.o_O

It has a GP bezel ring that does offset it somewhat.

DSCN4954.JPG DSCN4948.JPG DSCN4952.JPG DSCN4953.JPG

Reactions: Marcelo and viclip

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Bulova "Attorney" (1942)

This red gold finished model was offered between 1941 & 1943, both inclusive. The one pictured below was made in 1942 as per the date code on its caliber 10AX movement, boasting 17 jewels.

Just back from my watchmaker earlier today, the watch is mounted on a black leather strap but I would really like to know what strap was offered by Bulova in 1942 on its Attorney model.

For 1941 it was a "maroon leather" strap & for 1943 it was a "brown suede leather" strap, as per adverts which I've seen. But no luck finding a 1942 advert ... does anyone know the particulars of the strap affixed by Bulova for that year?

Bulova Atty 1942.jpg

Reactions: Marcelo and pmwas

DH19

Mar 31, 2021
Country
After seeing the recent and wonderful photos of a BAYLOR and a LIP, I’m feeling a bit “...and here’s another obscure brand, murdered by the Quartz Crisis.” A once proud, post-WW2 start-up based in Spain / made in Switzerland, known a Radiant. To honor the first Formula One season to kickoff without Englishman Murray Walker who passed last week at the age of 97, here’s a 1970s Radiant Bi-Compax Chronograph, powered by a Landeron 149. View attachment 644639
Looks good!

SuspectDevice

Apr 5, 2021
Country
Elgin 607 Bumper

Finally made an impulse ratchet lever spring for the automatic click wheel from 0.15 mm material.
What a supremely fussy job involving a jewel cap size screw.
Anyway...It bumps!
Elgin Bumper.jpg
Some trivia...
It takes 3 1/2 oscillations of the bumper mechanism to advance the main click wheel a single click.

Last edited:

Teckelhut

May 10, 2021
Oregon
www.teckelhut.com
Country
Region
Wenger limited addition given out by Marlboro cigarettes. Was my late husbands that he bought at a gun show years and years ago (We are not smokers). When he had to go into the hospital he handed it to me as he was not allowed to wear it while admitted. I put it on rather than putting it in my pocket. He never came back out alive and I have been wearing it ever since.

Reactions: Marcelo

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Bulova "Attorney" (1942)

This red gold finished model was offered between 1941 & 1943, both inclusive. The one pictured below was made in 1942 as per the date code on its caliber 10AX movement, boasting 17 jewels.

Just back from my watchmaker earlier today, the watch is mounted on a black leather strap but I would really like to know what strap was offered by Bulova in 1942 on its Attorney model.

For 1941 it was a "maroon leather" strap & for 1943 it was a "brown suede leather" strap, as per adverts which I've seen. But no luck finding a 1942 advert ... does anyone know the particulars of the strap affixed by Bulova for that year?

View attachment 646100
Bulova "Attorney" (1942)

By way of update to my within Post #2,503, I've since had the subject watch outfitted with the correct handset. Here's a shot of the watch with the proper hands:

Bulova Atty 1942_.jpg

SuspectDevice

Apr 5, 2021
Country
At a guess, either ETA 930 or FHF 175?
Correct on the 1st guess. :clap: Similar to the very well known ETA900 17J 11 1/2'''
I thought I could get away with a good cleaning but the amplitude just wasn't there so I had to go back in and replace the spring.
Went in a 2nd time to tighten the cannon pinion.
3rd time was to replace a chipped balance cock jewel after I found a replacement.
I'm thinking I didn't polish the lower pivot well enough because I'm getting bad amplitude dial up.
Anyway...Still learning.
Watch is keeping OK time w/ < 1min/day so no big deal.
My expectations weren't that high for a $50 e-bay purchase & I really like the old art deco style case (32mm is perfect for me)

Reactions: Paul Sullivan

SuspectDevice

Apr 5, 2021
Country
These ETA900 series movements were in a 1000 different watches and the parts are everywhere.
Just find a case you like and snap it in.
Almost as easy as changing a strap.
Also...Very easy to work on. (except the basket case one I got that was just a fun challenge)
BTW...The Benrus case one is called a "bottle cap"...(Bulova made one also)

s-l1600decw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Marcelo and viclip

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Found this yesterday where it had been left out in the weather for quite some time sandwiched between wrapped up clock glasses in a small box which had indeed been wet by rainfall numerous times and was collapsed. Carefully got all the wet paper off the clock glasses and this slid out from between them in a small ziplock bag.
Wound it up and it has kept perfect time for a whole day so far. The ticket said it had been serviced in 1982. Sealed in the baggie ever since.

P5299690.JPG P5299691.JPG

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Found this yesterday where it had been left out in the weather for quite some time sandwiched between wrapped up clock glasses in a small box which had indeed been wet by rainfall numerous times and was collapsed. Carefully got all the wet paper off the clock glasses and this slid out from between them in a small ziplock bag.
Wound it up and it has kept perfect time for a whole day so far. The ticket said it had been serviced in 1982. Sealed in the baggie ever since.
Wow, a veritable time, time-capsule.

Wow, even John Cameron Swayzey would be impressed. And he probably thought that only pin-levers could put up with such torture. "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."

I know, I'm dating myself here. Cheers, oldsters, youngsters, and in-betweensters.

Marcelo

May 15, 2020
Country
This arrived at my door today: a Starking TM0915. I won it in a you tube watch channel giveaway. It's a cheap, but nice-looking and pretty well-finished Chinese watch. It has some sort of claimed "in-house" high beat auto movement inside. Wonder how long it will last? starking.jpeg

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
These are made from cheap materials. It is quite common to have teeth missing in the winding train.
They are a watch and they keep time but what else do you want for $45?
If parts break you'll need to find someone who buys thousands of replacement movements.
I spoke to a parts supplier about this very problem. He said, there is a problem in that I cannot get one movement, I have to buy a thousand of each and I'll never be able to sell all those.
You got it for free, all good.

Reactions: Marcelo

Silver Chips

May 30, 2021
Country
Long time lurker here, been reading the forums here for over 10 years but this is my first post here. Today I unmounted my my Lemania Regatta to give it a good clean that it deserves and will be wearing my Omega 120 Seamaster.
Have a accumulated a huge amount of vintage watch making tools and otheer related shop items. Looking forward to being more active and learning from the forums.

IMG_2610.jpeg IMG_5537.jpeg

SuspectDevice

Apr 5, 2021
Country
Lemania Regatta
The 1345 is a really cool movement. More reading here.

Reactions: Silver Chips

Silver Chips

May 30, 2021
Country
The 1345 is a really cool movement. More reading here.
Thanks SD,

Yes it is a really cool movement and like the watch a lot but sadly it has not been that robust and parts are almost non-existent. This watch use to belong to my best friend when I was a teenager. I remember the day he got it from ordering it out of the back page ad in a sailing magazine, we both competed heavily in sailing and he wore it for years. I also have had the pleasure spending time with Paul Elvström in Denmark who was sponsored by Lemania and had issued the same watch with his name on it.
Amazingly, it came away visually unscathed but my friend gave me the watch about 15 years ago when it broke and he didn't want to spend the $$$ to fix it; it's hard to get serviced. Since then it has needed to be fixed twice (complete overhaul), so now a bit nervous every time wearing it around town. It's has long been retired from sailboat racing and no longer see's the ocean and only regulated to office environments. Fingers crossed.

My Lemania military Czech is another story and just keeps on ticking and still keeps good time like my Seamasters.

Last edited:

Tourspin

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2021
Country
I looked for quite a while for this Technos. I've seen them listed on ebay and elsewhere as "Jumbo"...not sure if that's an official designation, but it's certainly oversize for its day at 37mm w/o crown. Very thin, very comfortable, and with -zero- complications. Can't tell in the picture, but it's pink gold / 20 microns. I also noticed in doing some light research that a few other makers were selling these plain oversize watches within this timeframe (Omega, IWC, a couple others incl Technos). I don't know if they were sold in response to a certain market segment, or for other reasons...but this is back when mens watches were in the 31mm - 33mm range.
technos.jpg

I'm going to post another watch here as well. I received it in the mail earlier today, and I've been wearing it the last couple of hours so I think it qualifies. While I've seen many Bulova Accutrons in this exact style/model, I don't ever recall seeing this bracelet, with the Accutron logos on each side. It's certainly as old as the watch so I think it was original to the watch...although I don't know that for sure. I plan to do more research to see if I can find an old advertisement. Please drop me a note if you've came across this combo in the past. I know it's fairly rare to see, but not sure just how rare.
Have a good weekend!
Andy

bulova a.jpg

River rat

Apr 4, 2009
Long time lurker here, been reading the forums here for over 10 years but this is my first post here. Today I unmounted my my Lemania Regatta to give it a good clean that it deserves and will be wearing my Omega 120 Seamaster.
Have a accumulated a huge amount of vintage watch making tools and otheer related shop items. Looking forward to being more active and learning from the forums.

View attachment 656733 View attachment 656734
Is that a Czech Issued Lemania nice watch I have a Czech issued Longines and Eterna in the collection,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinSer
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller