What are YOU wearing today? Please share!

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country
Shortly after the collapse of the Soviet Union, my Employer took a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railway. At one of his stops along the way he purchased a Wrist Watch as a gift for me.
I think the watch is described as a Vostok Komandirskie 1945 Sword & Shield and commemorates the USSR's defeat of Germany.
Now, after many years, it seems like the appropriate time to wear the watch, so I've removed it from its package, installed a band and wound it up.
It took a good deal of time to wind it, so I suspect it will run for more than 30 hours. As a test, using the clock on my computer as a comparator and checking the watch after a 40 hour run it gained 10 seconds. The watch stopped at 45 hours 7 & 1/2 minutes.
IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1812.JPG

Regards, PL

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country
Extremely rare Illinois, 3/0, 15J, Adj., Gold Gilded Train, Silvered Dial, S/N 2903350, Model 4, Grade 34, Wristwatch, Made in 1916.
Pinchbeck Cushion Case Marked: Illinois, WATCH CASE Co., ARROW, 226243, 3/0.
Looking for a Whiplash Regulator Spring.
IMG_1813.JPG IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1815.JPG

Regards, PL

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
No, I've never been to Belarus. Will have to go there some day...
I think that the Luch company has been acquired by the Swiss. Perhaps they offer tours of the factory for visitors, that would be interesting.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Well, this seems like a fine place to make my first posting - today it's a Sinn 142 Ti. Long ago I fell in love with the Speedmaster Pro and knew I had made it as an adult when I could afford to buy one. I wore it happily for years until it needed to be serviced; that took a long time so I looked around for something to wear in the interim, and fell into "collecting" watches that had something to do with space exploration. Hence the Sinn, and the Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute (lovely but largely impractical), and Omega X-33.

chris
Welcome to the group, Chris. Lots to learn around here. And a pretty good group of folks as well.
I am slightly familiar with the Sinn watches, very smooth running movements. Not inexpensive, but they appear to be well worth the price they get, especially if you get it for less. ;)

One good thing about the brand is that they are fabulous heirloom pieces. After all, it puts a positive spin on heirs carrying the Sinns of their fathers. :rolleyes: Cheers.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Oh, and as far as what I'm wearing today, it's a 17J Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic (ETA 1256) in SS. I like the simple lines of this style, including what I think are some of the best fitting (stylistically) that they could be. And it really is in overall excellent shape for a watch that is probably from the1950's. I got it as a fixer last month, based on what looked like fine condition, and was pleasantly surprised that it was better. Every GP watch that I have keeps truly excellent time. I believe they are a somewhat unappreciated brand. Cheers.

GPGyro.JPG

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
0C8DA87C-9F7D-4085-AEF2-F743959517AC.jpeg Accutron 2242. I got the movement off the “bay”, wouldn’t set but that wasn’t a problem. Just had to relocate the setting parts under the dial. The electronics are fine but the index wheel was wiped. No teeth at all. I had one from the movement that was in the case. The electronics were bad on that one. Soooo, I took it apart and installed the donor wheel, adjusted the indexing jewels and it’s keeping good time now. Been looking for a decent movement at a decent price for 3 yrs or so.

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
SEIKO Sportsmatic Day/Date

My mother presented me with a 21 jewel Seiko "Sportsmatic" Day/Date back in the 1970s, which had been manufactured in the 1960s. Although that particular watch is no longer running or even presentable, back in the early days of eBay i.e. the 1990s, I acquired an identical replacement for sentimental reasons. Having had it serviced of course in the meanwhile, I've been wearing the watch as part of my wrist rotation since yesterday evening:

Seiko Sportsmatic Dial.jpg Seiko Sportsmatic Cover.jpg Seiko Sportsmatic Buckle.jpg

Those classic day/date wristwatches from the 1960s just do it for me, and the Japanese did them right! I've no clue as to the provenance of this watch but since I acquired it from an American seller, I half expect that it was brought back by someone who served in Vietnam. Many Seikos were picked up back in those days by guys on leave needing something to spend their military pay on.

Incidentally I didn't adjust the day indicator in order to save wear and tear on the setting mechanism. While the date has a quick change feature, the watch hands must be continuously manually turned to get to the correct day. Not an issue with an automatic that's worn constantly however, I'll only be wearing it until tomorrow morning so why bother ...

RL

Mar 28, 2004
Country
The Seiko Auto 5's were really good looking watches and good time keepers.
They also could take their fair share of a rough time and still keep on going.
Nice watch and a classic

Reactions: viclip

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
The Seiko Auto 5's were really good looking watches and good time keepers.
They also could take their fair share of a rough time and still keep on going.
Nice watch and a classic
You wouldn't believe the abuse that my original Seiko Sportsmatic endured, including being worn for some 5 seasons while working as a summer student at the local Ford Motor complex. As my constant companion, I wore the watch into the 1980s when it ultimately succombed to a bad mainspring compounded by an incompetent watchmaker.

Peter John

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2018
Scottsdale, Arizona
Country
Region
Another pocket watch, B W Raymond Elgin. 17 jewels. 1924. I have had this one for some years. The case is bare brass, hour, minute hand gone, crystal gone, lower balance jewels gone. Staff and hspg good. It was trapped in the case. Impossible to unscrew the bezel. I oiled it, tapped it, heated it, froze it, used a razor blade in the seam, all to no avail. Finally I thought what to lose, I put it in my 750 watt ultrasonic for about 30 minutes. The bezel unscrewed! By now it was pretty clean also. I had new old stock jewels, hands, crown, mspg. Assembled, oiled, wound and there she goes. Been keeping good time for 3 days now. The crystal is not the proper one yet. And yes one of the plate screws is twisted off. It would not come loose. Looks like someone tried to drill it and that probably just drove it in deeper. Peter

64670D05-85D6-4B31-946C-8DED4DB2B8EF.jpeg AF367AAD-F563-411C-8106-4976974497B1.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Another pocket watch, B W Raymond Elgin. 17 jewels. 1924.

I really like these movements. The grade 27 changed from 15 to 17 jewels not long before yours was made. The serial number dates it to about 1895.

Mine is from 1898, and is serial number 7,019,962. Similar case.

It has nice damaskeen inside and out. Should have a stopworks on the mainspring barrel (although half of it is always missing!!)

Thanks for showing, I love model two elgins!

Fritz Katzenjammer

Yeah... that Fritz....
NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2013
My garage usually... Burlington, Ont.
Country
Region
Awesome watch. I'm assuming rcaf is Royal Canadian Air Force?
Yup, the RCAF reissued these things in 1965 with redone dials... that, and a 1942 serial number, is about all I know about the little bugger

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
SEIKO Sportsmatic Deluxe Day/Date

Today I'm sporting the deluxe version of Seiko's Sportsmatic line, these also date to the 1960s or 70s.

Besides having 25 rather than the standard 21 jewels, the only differences to my knowledge from a user's perspective are that the deluxe version:

a) uses a pusher, at 2:30, to quick set just the date;
b) boasts a crown at 3:30 which activates a hack feature when the crown is pulled out to set the time.

Seiko Sportsmatic Deluxe Dial.jpg Seiko Sportsmatic Deluxe Back.jpg

Cute dolphin on the caseback!

And the watch does keep excellent time, it was serviced a few years back.

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Komandirskie K34. The legend lives on :)

image.jpg

Komandirskie series were first relesaed in 1960s by Chistopol Watch Factory (USSR). It was designed for the military. Since the collapse of USSR, Komandirskie was a 'toy watch', cheap, often kitshy, low grade model, until the K34 was released - like - 10 years ago. The K34 is a classy, military style, watch - so cool.

PapaLouies

NAWCC Member
Apr 14, 2010
Country
Komandirskie K34. The legend lives on :)

View attachment 539767

Komandirskie series were first relesaed in 1960s by Chistopol Watch Factory (USSR). It was designed for the military. Since the collapse of USSR, Komandirskie was a 'toy watch', cheap, often kitshy, low grade model, until the K34 was released - like - 10 years ago. The K34 is a classy, military style, watch - so cool.[/QUOTE

A photo of the movement would be nice.
Regards, PL

pmwas

Dec 12, 2010
Sosnowiec, Poland
Country
Region
Lovely Hampden!!!
Today - not a wristwatch, a pocket watch...

IMG_3410.JPG

Sorry for the quality - it's dark and I'm having a beer with my friends :)

It's a lovely watch - my neighbours got it a long time ago as a wedding present. I repaired it some time ago and sometimes wear it. A simple cylinder movement...

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
SEIKO BELL-MATIC

Worn this week as part of my rotation is this 17j automatic. I believe it dates from the 1970s when it was purchased by my father; he seemingly never wore it & the watch remains in near mint condition.

This timepiece features an alarm function. The crown at 3 o'clock, in addition to setting the hands, also functions to wind-up the alarm power source & to set the time for the alarm to sound (which alarm time is signified by the white arrow within the orange arc on the dial's perimeter). The pusher at 2 o'clock, in addition to acting as a rapid date set mechanism, further serves as the toggle to active/de-activate the alarm.

Whenever I miss out on a nice eBay item due to forgetting to place my bid in a timely manner, I think to myself that I should use my Bell-Matic for daily wear so I could set the alarm as a reminder. But then I'd undoubtedly forget to set the alarm anyways ...

Seiko Bell-Matic Dial.jpg Seiko Bell-Matic Buckle.jpg

viclip

NAWCC Member
Jul 20, 2018
Country
Love the dial!
Thanks for noticing Rick.

My photography is poor to begin with plus the oak tree leaves overhead insisted upon reflecting off of the crystal & case. The dial is truly a stunner when viewed in the flesh. That portion of the dial within the bezel also reflects light in a sort of double cone pattern which changes location relative to the light source.

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltasmom02
Encyclopedia Pages