What are these for?

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
I just acquired a small floor clock made by Colonial.
It has a F. Mauthe spring driven movement.

On the frame work are 3 little tuffs of what appears to be cotton rope. They are attached with a small nail. 2 on one side of the movement and one on the other.

What are these for? They appear to be original to the case.

58.jpg

59.jpg

B

bob n

Hi, my guess is that it is possible that the tuffs may have been soaked with kerosene intending to lub. the movement. This is an old falsify.
bob n

Thyme

Banned
Sep 18, 2006
metro NY area
My guess would be that there was originally a piece of cloth (such as cotton batting?) that was attached as a barrier of some sort. I have no idea what purpose it would serve. What you see might be what remained of it after it was removed.

Back in older times all upholstery work was done with nails. Whoever removed the fabric left the nails, with the cloth remnants still there.

Kristin D

Jan 27, 2008
Is it possible these were part of the original packing to hold or support a part in transit?

Kristin

BIG D

Mar 2, 2004
Memphis Area, TN, USA
Country
Region
Kristin said:
Is it possible these were part of the original packing to hold or support a part in transit?

Kristin
Its possible but they all appear to exactly the same length.:?|

Any body else have an idea? OR know?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It looks like that board was cut part way to hold something else. Do you know what that "something" is? The clothe might be a dampening material to keep the case from vibrating to impart a more mellow tone. I'm just guessing too, at this point :)

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've seen several of these clocks but never noticed the "tufts" on any of them ... interesting.

Willie X