What a Deal? Kuempel Movement

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Not far from South Park CO
Country
Region
I snagged this one off of CL this morning for $50. It's hand made by a cabinet maker some 60 years ago for his grand-daughter. She is now deciding to sell it because "...it doesn't go with her decor." Ok, whatever. It has a Kuempel movement in it and I have been adjusting the crutch for several hours now, to no avail. It won't stay running. I've done my best to get it level.
I'm a pocket watch guy so I'm way out of my element here. I have adjusted the crutch in one other movement that was in a Ridgeway and I was successful in getting that one running. You can see it in the background of the other pics.
Any and all help/advise is appreciated.

--Kenny

20200928_154613.jpg 20200928_154620.jpg 20200928_154651.jpg 20200928_154706.jpg 20200928_154720.jpg

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
you should only need to adjust the crutch until it's in beat.

if it won't stay running, it needs servicing... total disassembly, addressing any issues (bent or worn pivots, worn pivot holes, broken/bent/worn teeth), reassembly, fresh oil, etc.

i always say "if you don't know when it was last serviced, it needs it"... or every 5-10 years, whether it needs it or not. :)

Reactions: Kenny S.

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Country
Region
if it won't stay running, it needs servicing... total disassembly, addressing any issues (bent or worn pivots, worn pivot holes, broken/bent/worn teeth), reassembly, fresh oil, etc.
This is kinda what I thought and feared. But hey, I've only got $50 into it. She did say it was serviced a number of years ago and that clock shop's name and # are in the cabinet so if they're still in business, I may be in luck. Thanks Bruce.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
The movement was made by Gebr. Jauch KG in Germany for Kuempel Clocks in Minnesota, who proceeded to modify it into a tubular bell chime setup.
The cases tend to be nice but the older tubular bell setups Kuempel devised were effectively "wood shop engineering".

Franken Tubular

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
What a shame. Many of today's younger generation seem to have other priorities and problems to solve. Too bad they don't really value heirlooms and their family's past. Not enough market value to be bothered with it I suppose. On the other hand we have some younger members here who could fix that orphan right up. :)

So, how many tubular bells does this clock have? Looks like two from the photos. Is it a ding-dong strike/quarterly strike movement? There are 3 chained weights. Do the other two gear trains work?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Clocks and watches are similar, just different sizes. Clocks tend to have more going on at one time than most watches, but if you can repair a watch you can repair a clock. We're here to offer assistance as you work through it. Give it a go!

Kenny S.

NAWCC Member
Apr 12, 2020
Country
Region
So, how many tubular bells does this clock have? Looks like two from the photos. Is it a ding-dong strike/quarterly strike movement? There are 3 chained weights. Do the other two gear trains work?
It has 5 tubular bells and strikes every quarter hour although all of the hammers don't make contact. Yes the other two gear trains seem to be working. I just can't seem to keep it running and was wondering if it's more sensitive to leveling than other clocks, especially front to back?

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Hi Kenny,

I don't have experience with that movement. It may have an Auto-Beat escapement. I don't know. How are you attempting to put the clock it into beat? In case you're not familiar with them, Auto-Beats work by giving the pendulum a fair amount of supplemental arc when starting up the clock and letting it settle down. By design, if the mechanism is working correctly, when the pendulum is swinging totally under the movement's own power the beat will settle down to within 5-10% beat error (in my experience).

Hopefully someone here will weigh in on whether or not you have an Auto-Beat. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try to set the beat that way, just don't go overboard with the over-swing.

How do the pivots look? Are they dry and/or dirty? No doubt it would benefit from some TLC, but it would be nice to get it working. If all of the trains are working, even for short periods, at least you know that nothing is missing.

Good luck with it.

Bruce

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
Hi Kenny-

Nice find!

These movements will suffer from problems with plated steels and can be quite a chore to get running. The plating will often slough off on the lower gear trains, causing severe wear and friction in the bearing holes. The solution is to cap, sleeve, and/or repivot any bearing that appears compromised. I have replaced as many as 23 bearing surfaces in these so be prepared for a lot of work :). A search for "plated pivots" will bring up quite a few other posts about this. The clock is certainly worth the effort, especially considering the price you paid for it.

Regards,

David

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Butterbearings, maybe?

Forum statistics