Function What’s causing this odd “triple” beat?

Alphonsus7

Aug 6, 2022
Country
It’s making this odd “triple” tick. I did know what caused it, but have forgotten. It seems to cause the pendulum to stop also. Any hints?

Last edited:

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
hard to tell with an entire three seconds of video... :)

it's best to take 60 second movies and then upload them to youtube... and then copy and paste the urls here to auto-embed the videos so everyone can see them. .mov files need to be downloaded and viewed in quicktime for mac/safari users... youtube makes videos cross-platform and cross-browser compatible.

my guess is that the escape wheel needs bushings... but, again... hard to tell.

Reactions: bwclock

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Isn’t it supposed to bounce (recoil)? But, both entrance and exit. I only see the bounce on entrance. Maybe exit? It’s really hard to tell with the video so short what is actually happening.

Last edited:

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Looks to me like it is way out of beat. And it hits the escape tooth on the right side twice.
Take the pendulum off and move the crutch by hand to see where the escape wheel releases on each side.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Yep. It’s out of beat. The extra tick is the leader hitting the crutch loop. Bend the loop tighter so the leader does not flop . Set the beat by slightly bending the crutch wire in toward the leader. That should give you two even ticks and keep it from stopping.

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
and don't swing the pendulum so wide... give it half as much and see what happens.

Reactions: Dave T

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Will it run on its own (?) or is it stopping as in the video.

Check the entrance pallet for a huge dent worn into its face. Sounds like the leader, or pallet assembly, is actually striking something. Does the pallet saddle have plenty of end-play (?) It may be striking it's retainer wire.

Yes, it's grossly out of beat and you're giving it about 4x the normal pendulum swing ...

Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: Jess19721

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The beat is good now but the tooth drop onto the entrance pallet is larger than it should be. To correct, raise the pallet pivot bridge (dog bone) about 1/4mm.

Also, I'm not seeing any over-swing, so recheck the pallet surfaces for wear. Big dents in the faces can kill your over-swing and also effect your clock's timekeeping. Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-