What´s for this horological tool?

J

John Nagle

I am not getting a clear picture but it looks like a hand drive that would be used on a rounding up tool

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
Would you mind describing what a "rounding up" tool is, and what it's used for?

I;ve of course heard the term a lot, but like a lot of machine- and - tool-related words, I don't know what it is and would very much like to have a clearer idea.

Thanks.

Modersohn

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
Looks like one that sold on feebay a while back. They had it advertised as a drive wheel for a clockmakers' throw. I suppose It could be used to power any sort of small mill, turns, lathe, &c.

A topping engine, or rounding-up tool, is used when the teeth of a wheel need to be finished, after stretching or gashing. It uses what amount to rotery files, and has no indexing provisions save for the plates that partner with the cutters. Usually the work is bound between centres.

A more precise (and simple) way to top teeth is in a depthing frame with a steel runner and a fraise, or set of cone fraises, but they are less understood, and by and large less common.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
What are cone fraises. Can you point to some info or pictures?

Thanks, Ralph

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
It looks less like a common ingold topping cutter and more an elongated bevel pinion. It is swung in the depthing frame, and the wheel is adjusted side-to-side to run against whatever portion of it most nearly suits the profile of the tooth.

I haven't internet at home to snap a picture of them right away, but will put them on a disc and do it next time I am here at a relitive's.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
Hey Miguel, I came across this lathe on the Internet. I thought you might find it interesting. The hand wheel is like the one you have although the mount is somewhat different. The lathe is probably English while yours is probably French or Swiss. However, I think the placement of the hand wheel is very similar.

You can see how it is attached to the body of the lathe. The crank is probbaly turned with the left hand as the tool rest is to the right of it.

Sorry, I cannot post the actual webpage since it's an ongoing auction.

View attachment 5

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

View attachment 8

View attachment 9

View attachment 10

View attachment 11

These images may be deleted soon after the auction ends in a few days.

Michael

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
Another auction shows a photo of a similar part--Auction 120078572706 for a vintage Levin countershaft lathe.

Not sure if it's exactly what you have, but might give you another idea about it.

Modersohn

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HenryZ
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool