Westminster Wrong Melody

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by slav_serg, Jan 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. slav_serg

slav_serg Registered User

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi guys! I liked this mantel clock. But I was upset that the Westminster melody sounds in the wrong sequence. Connoisseurs will understand me. Is there any way to correct this? Can I do this myself if someone can help me? Or should they be given a mantel clock to the watchmaker? Sorry, for my english.

2. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The large wheel on the back side of the movement (on the left) has a set screw. Let the clock chime at 15 after the hour. (4 notes) Loosen that screw and the chime hammers can be turned by turning that wheel. Then turn the wheel until the decending notes are played in a row. Tighten the set screw and all should be right.

3. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    WOW, please show me the arrows what you are talking about.

image;s=1000x700.jpg

4. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #4 slav_serg, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    two set screws -

Chime.jpg

6. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  7. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    And I would like to know more information about these mantel clocks. What is this brand, what release years are these mantel clocks? Perhaps there are links on the Internet.

image;s=1000x700.jpg image;s=1000x700-1.jpg

8. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please post photos of the whole clock and try to photo the labels more clearly. Can’t read them. Did you find the set screws? Did you get the sequence right?

9. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sorry, WOW, these mantel clocks are not mine. I'm just going to buy them and look for all the possible information about them. Actually, I have under consideration to purchase two mantel clocks and one wall clock. Since I am a beginner in this matter, I have questions for all the mantel clocks and I ask them periodically. A little later, today I will post a wall clock, which also interests me and ask questions about it. Is there information about the company ANKERUHR on the Internet?

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I can see the labels quite well. The one on the inside of the door is telling you how to set and operate the clock. The tag shows the name ANKERUHR, which was a trade name from the German company Uhrenfabrik Suevia. This company was founded around 1906 and had several different names over the following years. The company was still in business in the early 2000s, mainly making time switches, but I do not know if they are still in business.

From the appearance of your clock I would think that it dates from the 1950s/60s. The clock seems to be in good condition.

JTD

11. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hmmmm.....If I manage to buy them, I will definitely sort them out and post a photo in order to determine the year of issue as accurately as possible. Thank you all for the information.

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    O.K, but just remember that it is often impossible to date a clock to the exact year of manufacture. Many records were destroyed during the war and even afterwards many records are not available. Some companies (Junghans and Hermle, for example) introduced date codes at varying times, but most companies did not. Research has been done by private individuals concerning the clocks of particular makers (for instance Gustav Becker and Lenzkirch) and such records are often referred to on this site. But for many others no records exist.

I am just saying this to point out that it is often not possible to date every clock exactly. But of course everyone here will be happy to see your clocks and do their best to date them.

JTD

13. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  14. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005

Thanks chimeclockfan, I had a feeling they had finished, but couldn't remember where I read it. This was the article I was thinking of.

JTD

15. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Tell me, is it necessary to stop the clock with these actions? And how to stop them properly? And then start the clock?

16. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The chime train should stop on its own after each 1/4 hour chime sequence. After it stops on the 1/4 after the hour, (only four chimes are heard) make the adjustment as per my earlier post. All should be right after that. If not, let us know and we will help you get it right.

17. slav_serg

Jan 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Strange. I thought, if unscrew the two screws, the wheel will be removed from the axis and then you need to scroll through it to get the necessary melody. But when I unscrewed these two screws, I could not remove it from the axis. And so I just turned the wheel counterclockwise and thus I was able to set the correctness of playing the melody. So why it was necessary to unscrew the two screws - I do not understand. But in the end I solved my problem and the melodies played correctly, in the right sequence. Thank you all for your help.

IMG_20180813_204733.jpg