Westminster Chiming Wall Clock - German or English??

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Christopher Isaac, Nov 13, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hi, need some help to try and ID a clock of mine. I've just serviced it and replaced the dial (Believe me it needed it).

What I'm interested to know is where the clock was made? I know it'd be impossible for a maker as there is no mark. Thanks

Sorry about the large images I know some of you dont have broadband.
    322.jpg 323.jpg 324.jpg

This is the video of the clock chiming too http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/sodaclublad/?act...ge=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

2. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No clue anywhere on movement, Chris?
    I'd say German - not too many English ones with this sort of case, and there is usually some sort of logo on them.
    Never seen this actual front-plate chime and strike setup. Looks relatively new - late 30s?
    Self-correct is interesting.

3. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Sponsor Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Didn't wanna be the first to respond;
    Yeah. It's German.

4. There is a couple of numbers but that's all. Hmm it's quite interesting, I'm having small problems with striking. The rack will jump over to the left as it's supposed to, but when the small pin it counting on rack it will miss a couple of times occasionly-counting wrong hour, so I think that it's needing a spring or small weight. I thought it could have possibly been English as someone suggested Norland, but, no fancy plates, no markings, and also the strike is very fast tempo

5. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Donor Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris, I have seen a lot of German clocks with that style of clickspring. If I was to guess, I would say possibly Winterhaulder. Common looking case with an uncommon looking dial and movement. Any clues on the chime block, or pendulum?

6. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris
    If the rack hook never had a spring, it does not need one now!
    Is the pin on the GP bent or worn? Lead it through by hand and watch closely what happens, with a loupe.
    My guess is oil on the strike lever studs - have you cleaned it yet? Should be no oil on these.

7. The dial is a replacement which I fitted, the original was the same style but silvered, it was too damaged for keeps.

I just added a little weight onto the arm-thing, and it's working well now thanks.

8. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, judging by the video of it,it kinda sounded like the Kienzle clock video you had up so maybe it's Kienzle?

Hope you fix it some time :biggrin:

Doesn't sound like a Junghans though...

9. Graham

Graham Registered User

May 21, 2006
    London UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris,
    I have by sheer coincidence just picked up exactly the same clock with exactly the same movement. The chap I bought it from said that it runs OK but he couldn't get it to chime and in a strange perverted way I was quite pleased, as I enjoy finding and fixing faults on old clocks. Any way I got it home, pulled the face plate off only to find that the L shaped lever / cam that engages the star cam on the minute shaft was completely missing and although I had a good idea of what it should look like, I now have conformation by seeing your photo of the front of your movement. So now I can make one up with reasonable confidence that I am making one which will be near to the original as possible and not so much guess work. Which is great thanks.
    Oh and yes I reckon it is almost certainly German.

10. Chimeclockfan, my clock is not kienzle or junghans. It has nice sounding rods, but the clock is currently dismantled sadly as the hand shaft snapped. This is in pieces all boxed up, by the time If i ever get the part repaired I wont remember how to put the clock movement back together! sad really isnt it.

Graham, yeah would be interesting to see your same clock, although I guess yours will have an original silvered dial. Nice sounding wall clock

11. Graham

Graham Registered User

May 21, 2006
    London UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris,
    Here you go.
    It does have the original dial which is in fairly good nick. But you will notice there is no lower block on the bottom of the case. I for one am not particularly bothered about this, because as you can see the clock can stand on a flat surface or shelf. Which is handy as I don't have any wall space left.
    I managed to make up a replacement for the missing cam and now it chimes away nicely. Your right the gong rods on mine also have a good tone.

291.jpg

292.jpg

12. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chuck it out, Chris - where is your dustbin, BTW? ;)

Seriously, what are you going to do with it?

13. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know,how about turning the chimes into a doorbell thing! I assume a "random little german factory in the black forest" made the clock.At least you have a Junghans box clock to keep the time(and many other clocks too;))

14. I dont know what im gonna do. I've probably forgot how the movement goes back together now (it's been in parts for months now)

your clock is nice graham!

chimeclockfan, my fav westminster wall clock I own is by Kienzle, nice chimes, but very loud tick tock 1.jpg

15. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris
    If you are stuck, bung the movement parts in a box and post them or pop in with them; we are near M62 J26. I'll sort your broken arbor. PM me.

Shame that it is not working, and dismantled parts inevitably get lost. :eek:

16. Steve has the gear and handshaft and he said he would take a look at it, so will let all know soon

17. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steve from S Yorks? Didn't think he did repairs.

18. Yeah, he does repairs. Steve from sheffield

19. chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 chimeclockfan, Jan 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017

That's a very nice Kienzle clock you have!I think there was a video of it once on your site.
    I'm not surprised about the loud tick-tock since it's made of oak wood.

20. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chris is this clock up on your wall and running?
    Graham, nice clock, and you have no more wall space left.Do you live in a house?
    I am getting a clock similar to yours, but not 3 trains. :)

21. Graham

Graham Registered User

May 21, 2006
    London UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Veritas,
    You mean to tell me you have spare wall space You defiantly need some more clocks ;)
    I've got an old Victorian house in London and there are clocks all over the house.
    I did sell one of the wall clocks just yesterday and the today that space was filled. It is a bit of a problem, but one that I am very happy to have.

22. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't have to be defiant about it, Graham, as SWMBO likes my clocks.

I think she would draw the line if every bit of wall space was taken up with them, though.

Would not fancy winding them all, either! :eek:

23. Graham

Graham Registered User

May 21, 2006
    London UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mike,
    Well my other half likes clocks too. :) But she tends to be in the one clock per room camp. Although she is very understanding and has given up trying to persuade me over to her way of thinking.

24. chris_psmith

chris_psmith Registered User

Apr 1, 2007
    Bromsgrove, England
    Country Flag:
    Slightly off beat question, why the 8 hammers on the mechanism in the photo? I have a Norland mantel clock with 8 but that is a westminster / whittington?

25. David Robertson

David Robertson Registered User
    Donor

Jan 6, 2003
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    4 for chime and 4 for strike (a chord)

26. Hey. no I still need the centre hand shaft repairing! :(