Western Pennsylvania Horological Institute

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by lookingforschool, Feb 15, 2006.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. My father was a watchmaker/jeweler in Pennsylvania. He attended the Western PA Horological Institute in Pittsburgh, PA in the later 40's, early 50's, I guess. I am trying to find information about the school.

2. Tony Ambruso

Tony Ambruso Registered User

Dec 2, 2005
    Have you tried contacting the NAWCC Library and Research Center? It may cost you some money to have this research performed, or you could join the NAWCC, if you are not a member, and receive this research as a free service.

I have been unable to find anything on the Net about this school.

3. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I did a Goggle search "Western PA Horological Institute" and I found a postcard for sale with a photograph of a campus building.

If you believe school was in Pittsburgh, you could check Pittsburg business directories 40's & 50's for it. If you can locate old issues of "The Keystone" from 1940's/1950's or other jewelry and/or horological magazine it might have advertised itself.

Andy Dervan

4. John F

John F Registered User

Sep 28, 2001
  5. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The WPHI was a VERY prominent horological institution in its day. It was the "baby" of W.O.Smith a tireless author, inventor and promotor, who was the "Technical Director". He ws the publisher of the Esemblo-graph series of step by step books on diassamblinmg and assmebling many watch calibers. He also wrote a book (probably the first book ever on the subject) on the first electric watch (the electromechanical model Hamilton 500, with the electrically impulsed balance wheel) which was published in 1958.

I also have a 1940s course catelog from them:

# Title: Western Pennsylvania Horological Institute Inc.
    SubTitle: Pittsburgh Pa., "World's largest horological school"
    # Author: Pennsylvania Horological Institute, Western
    # Publisher: WPHS
    Other Keywords: Pennsylvania Smith
    Language: ENG
    Notes: Brochure ca. 1940s for horological school, illustrated
    Edition: 1940s? -- Copyright: 1940
    Kind: Book
    Type: Watch (general)
    Geographic area: USA
    Topic: Education
    Organization: School
    Pages: 32 -- Height in cm: 18
    Print Status: 2 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    BHM ID: 1803

as well as a watch troubleshooting booklet they produced one sees once in a while in the marts:

# Title: WPHI - 16 Points
    SubTitle: Mecanical Checking Procedures Systematically planned to eliminate stoppage, faulty workmanship and
    # Author: Pennsylvania Horological Institute, Western, William O. Smith
    # Publisher: WPHI
    Keywords: education textbook
    Other Keywords: WPHI checklist trainees
    Language: ENG
    Notes: Checklist for Watch Repairer Trainees
    Edition: 1950s ?
    Kind: Book
    Type: Watch (general)
    Geographic area: USA
    Topic: Repair
    Organization: NA/other
    Pages: 24 -- Height in cm: 15
    Print Status: 2 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    BHM ID: 772

Hope this is of interest.

Fortunat Mueller-MAerki

6. tymfxr

tymfxr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 13, 2005
    buy, sell, restore, repair antique clocks since 19
    E. Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's unfortunate that some 'one time' people who post here with a question don't give their email address in their public profile. This was started 15 days ago and this person might not look here again for new info. If we had their email address we could let them know there is new info for them. I do this sometimes when I see that someone added to an old thread and see no acknowledgement from the original poster. Maybe it would be a good idea if when we determine from the nature of the question that the 'new registration' might be a 'one time' post that we tell them there are alot of people reading the messsage board and it sometimes could take a week or two before someone comes up with the info you are looking for. Therefore it would be a good idea for you to give your email address so we can let you know if some new info has been added to your post. I know some might think-well that's their problem if they don't follow up on it. I disagree, it's ours also. When we see a new post here many of us spend alot of time and effort to give the person the info they need. It's nice to know that it did help someone. If the original poster reads this don't take offense, I know that this isn't common knowledge to many people who post 'one time' here.
    What do the other contributors think?

7. burnz

burnz Inactive User

Jan 24, 2006
    Country Flag:
    An RL had a post on the "message board problems etc." forum back in August. If you scroll down to the post titled "to all who post questions,problems etc." It looks like he covered this fairly well with several persons in agreement.
    Might be good if something like this was at the top of the forums so people would come back and acknowledge the replies they received.

8. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Hi Mike. I think the most of the people who post responses here do so for selfless reasons. They just enjoy being helpful. Some are more selfish in that they may have a personal obsession for finding the answer to questions posed, but they still look pretty altruistic to me. One time posters just come with the territory. I knew nothing about the subject of this post but I found the replies very informative. It also turns out the Museum gift shop has an interesting book by William O. Smith, "Twenty-First Century Watchmaking - Book One":
    http://www.nawcc.org/giftshop/americart/bk_watch.htm

Regards,
    Mike

9. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,

If one clicks on the name of "lookingforschool", and then on "invite lookingforschool to a private topic", a private email can be sent to him to advise him of the replies to his post. Sorry, if you already knew this.

10. #10 lookingforschool, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
  11. #11 lookingforschool, Jan 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2017
    Thanks for your information. I did receive it a year ago when you responded; but I never thought to reply. thanks for the photo of the school. I still haven't been able to find much else about it.

12. David Bohrer

David Bohrer New Member

May 8, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    My Brother-In-Law graduated from WPHI in 1948. He was a watch maker and owned/operated a Jewelry store for 35 years.