Westclox Pocket Ben with Lighted Dial Confusion

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by sbex55, Apr 30, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sbex55

sbex55 Registered User

Dec 16, 2011
    Hello. I have a Pocket Ben with a Lighted Dial. I'm trying to determine the production date. Here are some pictures:

6157_movement_small.JPG 6157_back_small.JPG 6157_inside_small.JPG 6157_front_small.JPG

I believe the production date is 1949 since a '49' is stamped on the second lower plate. I'm confused because this watch seems to use a watch battery to energize the light (which is missing). Watch batteries were invented in the 1950's but the '49' has me confused. What do I have wrong?

Thanks,

Scott.

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    scott,
    The 49 is not the date. They stopped stamping the date on the top plate in the 50's, it was the month and 2 digits for the year.

The small diode light is missing on your watch. It is a small tube light that sticks thru the hole by the 6 and when the button is pressed lights up the dial from the front as the dial is metal coated with paper.

3. sbex55

sbex55 Registered User

Dec 16, 2011
    Now it makes sense. Thank you Jim!

Scott.

4. PW Collector

PW Collector Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 3, 2003
    Scott,
    You are also missing the plastic plate with the metal contact to the battery. Mine is missing the battery, but somewhere I read where it takes a LR44 or SR44 battery. Attached are pictures of mine.
    Dave

Attached Files:

5. sbex55

sbex55 Registered User

Dec 16, 2011
    Dave - thanks for the information. Great pictures!