Help Westclox hand removal

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
A friend has asked me to look at this Scottish Westclox which is running erratically. It's easy to see why when you look at the congealed oil and muck. However I cannot find a way of removing the minute hand, which seems to be in a seriously close partnership with its arbor. I have tried holding the setting knob in a vice and gentlt turning the minute hand near the arbor but to no avail. Any hints please?

17-06-21_5.jpg

17-06-21_6.jpg

Snapper

Nov 30, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Country
Thank you roughbarked. I suspected as much but I was reluctant to force it too much. However, the hands are now off.

I have to say that I would not normally attempt repairing these movements but for a friend I said I would try.

Two other things puzzle me;
The spring barrel has no ratchet or click but the power is transmitted via a spring clutch wound around the barrel and anchored to a pillar. How on earth do I let down the main spring?

In the first photograph below the barrel and to the left of the pillar is a wheel with teeth. Held against the wheel with a coil spring is a plate with a radial tab. This is not connected to anything. Any ideas as to its purpose please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HIltonD
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-