Westclox Big Ben Style 7 alarm clock

Schatz70

Oct 5, 2019
Country
I picked this up off the shelf at a thrift store, wound it a couple of turns, held it up to my ear and got nothing. I wound it up a little more, shook it a little, still nothing. Then as I was walking around the store it suddenly decided to start running and has been running now for several hours. When I got it home I looked it up here:

Based on the photos and the chart on page 8 of the PDF, what I have is a Style 7 made between 1956 and 1964 which is earlier than I would have thought just looking at it. It runs, the alarm works, the plastic bezel is in good shape, the black paint on the case has some nicks and scratches but not too bad, so I'm pleased with it. The chart says it has a 4 movement, which corresponds to the 4A stamped on the bottom.

James Martin has made some YouTube videos on servicing earlier models of the Big Ben made as early as the 1920s, so I wondered if this movement can be serviced. I found a series of videos made by the Gregola Horology Club on servicing this movement, so it looks like it can be done. His clock has radium on the dial and hands, fortunately mine does not. The first video is here:

Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 001.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 003.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 004.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 005.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 006.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 007.JPG Westclox Big Ben Style 7 2 21 2023 008.JPG

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I picked this up off the shelf at a thrift store, wound it a couple of turns, held it up to my ear and got nothing. I wound it up a little more, shook it a little, still nothing. Then as I was walking around the store it suddenly decided to start running and has been running now for several hours. When I got it home I looked it up here:

Based on the photos and the chart on page 8 of the PDF, what I have is a Style 7 made between 1956 and 1964 which is earlier than I would have thought just looking at it. It runs, the alarm works, the plastic bezel is in good shape, the black paint on the case has some nicks and scratches but not too bad, so I'm pleased with it. The chart says it has a 4 movement, which corresponds to the 4A stamped on the bottom.

James Martin has made some YouTube videos on servicing earlier models of the Big Ben made as early as the 1920s, so I wondered if this movement can be serviced. I found a series of videos made by the Gregola Horology Club on servicing this movement, so it looks like it can be done. His clock has radium on the dial and hands, fortunately mine does not. The first video is here:

View attachment 751199 View attachment 751200 View attachment 751201 View attachment 751202 View attachment 751203 View attachment 751204 View attachment 751205

I dont normally mess with clocks like that or even buy them, but a couple weeks ago picked up the same clock as yours.I took mine apart to look at it , and taking it apart to get to the movement was a challenge in itself. Not hard, but fighting the urge to toss it. I didnt service it at all, just added oil to the pivots. I will say it does run now, so not all was lost, but ive not put it back together because the 4 gromets were shot, and i want to try to find replacments. I also dont know how long they are supposed to run, but mine seems to be a 30 hour.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

NAWCC Forums

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
docjammon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions