Westclox Big Ben Dialite Question

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by wbranko, Aug 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This clock has sentimental value for a customer...I know it is not a hot collectible, but for her it is important. The problem is that the light bulb is failing. This model (Dialite) had...go figure...a lighted dial! I have provided a photo of the current bulb. It seems to me this is a later replacement...probably not the original bulb. I could get a parts clock to replace the missing bulb base and put a new bulb in, or I could put in an LED bulb.

Any thoughts on this? If I do put in an LED, anyone have a recommended bulb and source?

Thanks!!!

20190826_142453.jpg 20190826_143714.jpg 20190826_144049.jpg

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    That's a neon bulb and resistor. The bulbs get darker over time, but this one doesn't look bad...?

Either way, replace it with a new neon bulb, they are not hard to find at all, or it won't look right. Use a new resistor too, the old carbon composition resistors change value over time.

3. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Chris,

Thanks a million. I checked on-line and as you stated it IS a neon bulb...and they are easily and cheaply available. I have ordered the bulb and resistor, and am now waiting to install the new ones. I'm an electric clock newbie, and had never even heard of a neon light bulb. Thanks for taking the time to teach me about this. Your post was super-helpful!

Bill

4. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    Awesome, I'm glad I could help. I have an old clock radio in my bathroom that has a neon bulb on the clock, and it's such a pleasant light at night.