American Were time clocks refurbished from pendulum to electric

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Tony Jarrett, Mar 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tony Jarrett

Tony Jarrett Registered User

Mar 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I would like to purchase this clock but have questions the seller can't answer. It shows pendulum wear but has an electric cord running in from top. Was it a practice to retrofit clocks to electric or is it likely someone has done this recently ?

20200213_172636.jpg 20200304_173813.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 shutterbug, Mar 5, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    That might be a master clock that was used to impart impulse to others clocks every minute to keep them all the right time ... like in a school. In that case, it would be mostly mechanical but also with an electric system. A look in the case would tell the story.

Edit: On closer examination, I believe it's a time clock like businesses used for employees to clock in and out of work. In that case it would be electric originally, and have a second component for stamping the time onto a card. Many old electric clocks also employed a pendulum for accurate timekeeping in a less than dependable period while electricity was being introduced.
    It looks like it's in very good condition. One caution: some of those clocks also have very strong springs in them.

Edit again: If I had read your title more carefully, I could have saved myself a lot of typing :D

3. Tony Jarrett

Mar 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I should have said it is a time recorder punch clock. A pendulum as a backup sounds logical. I didn't realize that most of them were electric. I thought that it may have been a retro fit because of this tag that is on it. Fairchild camera and instrument corporation. From the research I have done, I saw nothing about them providing or servicing time recording clocks. Great forum here !

20200213_172651.jpg

4. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the tag you show was a property/inventory tag for the original owner.
    Ray Rice

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I don't think 'most of them' were, some were of course, but many weren't. I have had several and they were all spring/pendulum movements.

They had massive movements and huge springs, as has already been mentioned and made nice clocks even if you didn't use the clocking mechanism.

JTD

6. Tony Jarrett

Mar 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This one had a label in detailing when it was sold/inspected and to whom it was sold. Just in case someone finds that information interesting.

20200305_184708.jpg

7. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Tony,

The dial has no winding holes which means that there are no springs to wind externally but there may be a spring that is re-wound electrically.

Jim

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've seen master clocks with an electric rewinder that pulsed once a minute or so to keep tension on a small spring. They were very inventive during the industrial revolution! :)

9. Tony Jarrett

Mar 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    You guys have been most helpful. Thanks for your time and responses.