Were Gruen's Veri-Thin and Ultra Veri-Thin Movements Really Novel?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Ethan Lipsig, May 7, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gruen hyped its Veri-Thin line of watches as reducing the "usual" four operating plane watch design to three planes. It hyped its Ultra Veri-Thin line as reducing the usual design down to only two planes. See the ad below and the highlighted section of the ad. Were these claims more than hype?

(I recognize that Gruen nearly exclusively used Swiss movements, but I am posting it to the American Pocket Watch board because Gruen was an American company.)

Attached Files:

2. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    As a collector with all 3 examples you can confirm from my SIMILAR THREADS listings that I never noticed much smaller thin complete watches whether 2 or 3 level wheel arrangements. It seems to me Gruen made and used p.w.cases of good quality so their thickness defeated their thin movement advantage, 10 size Colonial Walthams had well designed cases that were nearly as thin as the same sized Gruens. Art

3. Thojil

Thojil Registered User

Sep 6, 2008
    Product Manager with Nissan
    South Africa
    To my knowledge the Veri-Thin was really a novelty in the "affordable" segment of the watch market when it was introduced in 1903. There were thinner movements offered by exclusive brands like Patek Philippe, but these had a price tag that most people couldn't afford. Gruen is recognised leading the move from the thick railway watch size to thinner, more elegant pocket watches.

I think the same applies to their Ultra Veri-Thin or UV caliber, which for sure wasn't the thinnest movement available when they launched in 1923. Gruen's own Ultra-Thin UT movement (produced by Les Fils de Louis-Elisée Piquet, Le Brassus and discontinued in 1920) was thinner, but also far more expensive. The Ultra Veri-Thin was marketed as one of the thinnest watches at an affordable price.

4. artbissell

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    #4 artbissell, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    Here a VERI-VERITHIN that is only a VERITHIN with a thin broader than usual case. A U.T. with a heavy gold case. Glad to know the correct maker of U.T. I thought was MEYLAN. artbissell

IMG_9390a.jpg IMG_9389acopy.jpg IMG_9392acopy.jpg IMG_9401acopy.jpg IMG_9416acopy.jpg IMG_9421acopy.jpg

5. artbissell

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    THOJIL, serial 150030 on DIETRICH U.T. 1925+ ? Art

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking watch Art, you have a really nice collection.

7. Thojil

Thojil Registered User

Sep 6, 2008
    Product Manager with Nissan
    South Africa
    Hi Art, difficult to say as these were top of the line watches which were not sold in high numbers.
    According to Piquet production stats they produced for instance in 1918, 288 movements for Gruen (36 per month). As I mentioned Louis-Elisée Piquet discontinued production of these movements in 1920 and production started in 1912. So what is clear that the movement was produced prior to 1920.

My assumption is that Gruen may have continued casing them until 1925 or maybe even beyond that date from stock movements, but of course that is only an assumption. The only cased UT (serial 149,658) that I ever found with an engraved date was 1927, confirming my last point. But this watch may also have been sitting with a jeweler for several years before he sold it.

The reason for the similarity with the Meylan movement is no coincidence as Piquet supplied the same 17‘‘‘ base movement to Meylan Watch Co. and also to Agassiz Watch Co., St. Imier.

8. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Piquet also supplied this ebauche to Cresarrrow, Ditisheim, Audemars Piguet, Zenith, Frankfeld, Breguet, D. Nicole, and Koehn/Ekegren, among others.

9. artbissell

Dec 4, 2009
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    For me the preceding is really significant info here about the Dietrich Gruen Ultrathin and the 150k serial number; MUCH APPRECIATED. Art

10. Dave Chaplain

Dave Chaplain Registered User
    NAWCC Member

For Thojil and anyone else trying to track these, here a later number UV example (no case with this one, unfortunately ...):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]