Well it's official now!

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by hemioutlaw, Jun 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hemioutlaw

hemioutlaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2008
    North.Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just got back home to Denton after driving to the Arlington Convention Center for the NAWCC National Convention.

Took the day off work to attend my 1st National and as I pull up and about to pay for parking the gal says " You here for the dance?" Ummm No, I proudly state I'm here for the clock convention!

The two gal's in the booth look at each other and in unison state " We don't know anything about a clock convention, are you sure you have the right address? " I proceed to grab my registration and say well it clearly state's right here 1200 Ballpark Way, Arlington Convention Center, June 29th- July 1st.

Waaaaaaa Waaaaaaa Waaaaaaaa, as the light bulb turns on and we all have a good laugh at my expense....Welllllllll, I guess i'll see y'all next week!

Yup, it's official......i'm over the damn hill!

Do I get an award for being the Earlybird!

2. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So, did you stay for the dance? We should always make the most of our mistakes.:whistle:

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The early bird gets the worm. The REALLY early bird must swallow his pride :D

4. hemioutlaw

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2008
    North.Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha Ha Ha Harold,
    It actually crossed my mind to stay for the dance but I've got to have a couple of inebriants in me before I can arise to my Gene Kelly/Tony Manero stature and it was wayyyyyyyy too early to partake in those type of beverages.

Ahhhhhhh......Life is Good!

5. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When my chapter -- Lake Erie #28 -- put on the 1996 national convention in Cleveland Ohio, a guy pulled up in his van to the convention center garage and asked to be let in for the NAWCC convention. Turns out he was a week early -- but had driven here from California. You don't go home and come back for that. Hopefully, there was a very long dance that he attended!

Frank

6. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In a similar vein, I have several times in the past ten years or so gone to my local auction, for which I receive mailed notifications, either a week early or a week late. Right day of the week, right time, just a week off. That sinking feeling when I drive up to an empty parking lot and a dark building is priceless and amusing. Don't tell anyone, please, let this be our little secret.

7. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Did that with physical therapy, showed up a day early. oops.

8. hemioutlaw

NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2008
    North.Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I kinda figured I wasn't alone and as a perfectionist by nature I think it's good food for the soul to humble yourself now and again to remain grounded. I can't afford to make mistakes when I'm machining 100k pieces of Inconel at work and I don't like screwing up clocks or Muscle car stuff like the Holley carb I rebuilt today.

But showing up a week early for a convention a half hour from the house I can shrug off in a heartbeat.

9. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's good to see that the old saying "a day late and a dollar short" tends to go the other way as we age.:whistle: