Well I completed a set today

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by River rat, Nov 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    First type of chronometer I ever got was a Hamilton Model 22 in a gimbal box years ago they sold for more money back then. Then I got a Hamilton comparing watch then a long dry spell due to prices. But I all ways wanted to complete the set with a big one the model 21 and then the model 22 deck watch/pocket watch version did get the model 21 in the beginning of this year and now I just bought today the model 22 deck watch/pocket watch so now all naval navigation watches produced in WW2. Prices have went really down think I paid 400 bucks more when I got the gimbled model 22 and it did not even come with a outer box 10-15 years the market has changed for the better.

s-l1600#.jpg s-l1600###.jpg

2. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations River Rat. Now you will have to go back a few years and get the Hamilton 36s in gimbal and deck.
    Paul

3. Leigh Callaway

Leigh Callaway Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Upper Valley, New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    More congratulations, River Rat. An excellent addition to any collection of WW II timekeepers, particularly because it's a Hamilton.
    The British National Maritime Museum has a detailed description of a Model 22. The HS-2 engraving on the case back means "Chronometer Watch"

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/79275.html

4. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats River Rat, well done.

5. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Paul
    About 15 years or more ago at a NAWCC mart I passed on a Hamilton 36 pocket watch version with both boxes for $2000.00 at the time thought it was to high I messed up not buying it.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you really want a complete set of 36 size examples you need the gimbaled version with and without the wind indicator plus the flat watch version. You will probably find them quite a bit cheaper now. I know that mine have been selling for less than that. :)

One of the persistent questions about the gimbaled versions is whether the ones without the WI are repairs from when the mechanism got a bad reputation, or were a cost reduction for the commercial market.

7. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Well received it today Hamilton WW2 naval navigation watches of WW2 complete

DSC_0124.JPG DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0139.JPG DSC_0142.JPG

tick talk and musicguy like this.
  8. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Really nice!

Rob

9. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations! They look really nice all together. I bet you keep peeking at them! That's what collecting is all about.
    Paul

10. River rat

NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    The inner box is in NOS condition. But it has that old smell when you open the box plus some hairline cracks from age on the bottom of the box. I have seen some NOS inner boxes in the original cardboard boxed before on the net. At first thought it could be one of Gary's boxes but the smell and hairline crack in the wood tells me it's original the hardware in great shape.