Welch one is it?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Barnhart, Sep 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barnhart

Barnhart Registered User

Jun 17, 2019
    Male
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Yesterday my wife was given her grandmother's clock, which makes it worth alot to us!

Labels on back are all but gone. I can tell it's a Welch and it looks like the model is "Arton" but hard to tell.

I can't find any info on forum or internet about a "Welch Arton."

Help please!

IMG_20190911_221429.jpg IMG_20190911_220756.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Maybe we could see the label, even thought it is mostly gone?

JTD

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I second this request. Tran Duy Ly's book on Welch clocks shows this clock and identifies it simply as Unknown No. 32 and dates it ca. 1884. So, even a remnant of a label might lead us further in assigning a name to the beast.

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your helrloom clock is listed in Tran Duy Ly's book "Welch Clocks" on page 492. Unfortunately he designates it as "Unknown No. 32" from circa 1884. The label on the example is also unreadable.

5. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I went back and looked at the photo of the label remnants in Tran's book. It's not a great, high resolution image but from I can tell that example had no print left. It just looks like paper backing. Your label must be more intact and represents an opportunity as Steven suggested.

6. Barnhart

Barnhart Registered User

Jun 17, 2019
    Male
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Here's some pics of the labels. To me it looks like it says "ARTON". What do you guys think?

IMG_3457.JPG IMG_3458.JPG IMG_3459.JPG

7. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm about to leave for an appointment, but is it perhaps Arion or even Artun (a Turkish title of honor)?

8. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Bruce Alexander, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Apparently it's an "Arion". See this link: Welch Arion Victorian Clock | #42210594
    I think that Tran Duy Ly is retired, but Arlington Books may still be interested to know.

Edit: I sent this e-mail to the address listed on the Arlington Books Webpage (crunruh@comcast.net).
    It hasn't bounced back yet so maybe it will go through. If someone has more direct contact information, it would be much better if they could contact a responsible person of course.

To whom it may concern,
    We've identified a Welch Wood Cased Clock previously listed in Tran Duy Ly's book "Welch Clocks" on page 492 as Unknown No. 32 due to the fact that Tran's example had an unreadable Label. It was called the "Arion".
    Please see this link for more information: Welch one is it?

The combination of the two labels removes any doubt as to the model name. The "N" is not legible in the Worthpoint example, but it clearly is here.

Mystery Solved?

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #9 JTD, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Well, the first thing I thought of was Arion, but according to Wortpoint's alphabetical list that was a Waterbury name. I suppose it could have been used by Welch as well. But also the spacing of the letters looks wrong, at least to my eye, if the third letter has no side arms (I instead of T).

I don't know.

JTD

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I just saw this post after I wrote mine. It does certainly seem as though it must have been 'Arion'. Odd that two makers would use the same name but perhaps it didn't matter so much in those days.

JTD

11. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I think it says "ARION". The apparent cross on the T looks to me like an abrasion, not printing.

RM

12. Barnhart

Barnhart Registered User

Jun 17, 2019
    Male
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    I did some measuring (see pic).
    Total length ( including the period), is about 61mm.
    Allowing for 5mm on either side of the middle letter, we get an available space of 2mm, not enough for a T as a T would almost certainly fall between 7-10mm wide (like the other letters).
    2mm is however, very close to the 3mm I measured across the top of this middle letter.

I'm feeling very certain "Unknown No# 32" is in fact "ARION".

IMG_20190913_123601.jpg

Bruce Alexander likes this.
  13. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    At least three, actually. Ansonia made a figure clock by that name. The Waterbury was an octagon short drop wall clock.

14. Bruce Alexander

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mystery solved and success!

The e-mail was received and noted.

Here is the reply:

Thanks,
    I’ll make a note of that and keep it in the file should there be any future updates

Best regards,

Craig

Arlington Books / Crunruh Books

Now that Tran Duy Ly is retired, I have to wonder if there will be any future updates but at least they are aware of it.

Regards,

Bruce

15. Barnhart

Barnhart Registered User

Jun 17, 2019
    Male
    Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Bruce thanks!
    Even my kids got excited about our discovery. I've never been much for FB etc...but this forum is awesome!!

Bruce Alexander likes this.