• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Welch Marine Clocks

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Picked these up at auction. Haven’t cracked them open yet - but wound them and they both tick. Cases are pretty nice - no original keys. I’m looking for a reference how these work that is different from a mantle?

I know they are balance wheel. I’m guessing the one with gold wheel in center is alarm & maybe that is same as a steeple with an alarm.

The “bell” on the other just goes off when you wind it. Is it just an hour bell like a mantle?

C3E453BC-3110-4817-BF8D-DCE69F90732F.jpeg

9EE22238-58F6-419E-8339-097FE1737717.jpeg

Reactions: S_Owsley

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Thanks. I’ve been looking around. Will check them out. Was looking for the original directions that came with the clock. But, I guess that probably isn’t happening. I guess more will be become clear when I get them apart

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
The term "marine" clock originated around 1840 when Charles Kirk developed a clock movement controlled by balance rather than pendulum. There is no connection with their use on ships as they were simple small wall clocks in wood cases.

1st clock is time and alarm and 2nd clock is time and strike.

Andy Dervan

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
What is a "marine" clock??

Well, if I may quote myself from another thread (linked to above):

"What is my definition of a "marine" clock or time piece? Well A. Lee Smith in his wonderful overview Bulletin article which all should read (go to it via this link: Log In ) uses the definition of "balance wheel clocks and timepieces meant for use on moving vehicles, where pendulum clocks were not practical." He then goes on to include those used in the home as well. He excludes marine chronometers.

This is basically the definition I'm going to use. I believe that the CT clock makers of the 19th Century often referred to any clock or time piece, wall or shelf, with a balance wheel movement which was portable as a "marine" clock. Certainly some could be and were intended for use on a boat, barge, coach, train or a moving vehicle. However, I think they were also meant as decorative, versatile, often small, spring driven clocks and time pieces with the flexibility to be used most places and without the limitations of a pendulum, weights, etc. Don't tell me a wonderful Jerome Botsford under a glass shade was intended for use on a locomotive."

Though Kirk called his firm "The Marine Clock Mfg. Co, I'm not sure he coined the term, per se.

If you're interested in learning more about Kirk, one of the most interesting (IMCO) earlier CT makers, see:

Kirk "marine" | NAWCC Forums

Sadly, some of the pix I took the time to take and post are still missing after a Forums "upgrade".

RM

Reactions: Raymond Rice

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
The term "marine" clock originated around 1840 when Charles Kirk developed a clock movement controlled by balance rather than pendulum. There is no connection with their use on ships as they were simple small wall clocks in wood cases.

1st clock is time and alarm and 2nd clock is time and strike.

Andy Dervan
Thanks, as of now if just the chime mod chimes on & on as you wind up the strike side til it runs down. I haven’t taken it apart yet - I’m working on something else & I don’t like to work on 2 clocks at one… Does the bell on these commonly just do the hour or the hour & the half hour?

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
Finally got one of these two squared away (alarm) after many headaches.

The second clock (hourly bell) suddenly let go of the strike spring & while I was testing it & bent the lantern pinions on one of the arbors. Since it will need that & a new strike spring, I found an eBay donor movement for parts…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waveydavey420
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-