Welch,ca 1855 30 hr movement question

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, May 11, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I am in the process of overhauling the above movement and I am very curious about the spring configuration.

The strike train has a 3/8 " wide loop end spring and the time train has a 1/2" wide spring that has the hole in the end ala a enclosed spring.Also the click springs are different,the s train has the click mounted on the wheel where the t train has the click and spring mounted on the inside of the front plate and independent of the spring assembly except when mounted.

This is the first movement of this nature I have worked on and I was wondering is this was normal manufacturing procedure or if it might be a variant?

Bruce

2. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    welch 30 hour

This is the clock,I bought it on a lark for the experience of working on this type of clock...........

51_1.jpg 0051_7_lg.jpg

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Re: welch 30 hour

I've merged the two threads on what is presumably the same clock. Perhaps a picture of the movement to clarify what you mean.

4. Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
    Re: welch 30 hour

Thanks Steven,I wasn't sure how to edit and manage attachments .....the movement is in tear down stage so photos will not show the assemblys/springs in question in a constructed form.