• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Welby Starburst 8 Day Brass 1950s

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I purchased an old Junghans Mantel Clock project a few weeks ago and felt sort of obligated to buy this one too, didn't really want it at the time but went ahead since the owner wanted to get rid of both of them, cheap price anyway. Come to find out it's sort of a neat old mechanical clock from the 1950s. Welby Starburst 8 Day wind up wall clock. Made in the USA. Of course it doesn't run even though the mainspring is wound up. Very dirty and has a hair spring escapement like a pocket watch. A good restore project when I can get to it. I guess I'll let down the mainspring and work the train back and forth, inspecting pivot play but doesn't really look too bad, maybe just clean and oil? Welby Starburst .jpg Welby Starburst front.jpg Welby Starburst movement 2.jpg Welby Starburst Movement 1.jpg Welby Starburst mounting plate.jpg

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I think I'll clean it up and install a quarts battery operated movement. No sense just throwing it in the trash. Hang it up in the garage. Save the movement, may come across a better one some day and could need the parts.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The face and starburst rods have seen better days but will look good when cleaned
I agree, I think the whole clock will look good when cleaned so...........

I think I'll clean it up and install a quarts battery operated movement
.............I hope very much that you won't do that. Of course it's your choice, but the movement looks, from what I can see, to be salvageable and then you would have a nice clock of its period, and these sometimes can sell quite well.

But, again, it is of course your choice.

JTD

Reactions: legosnell

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
It will look and sound better if you can keep the original movemrnt in it
The sound of the tick makes a lot of difference
Winding it every day can be a chore but that is one of the "joys" of having a proper clock

Reactions: legosnell and JTD