weird Seth Thomas - Bristol movement

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by jparker, Jul 21, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jparker

jparker Guest

I recently had given to me a movement. This movement has a single hand arbor with no accomodation for a cannon tube. The movement is marked in the left side of the front plate with ST in the diamond and circle and around the circle is Made In USA. It is a balance wheel movement and the hand arbor accomodates the first wheel. The plates are screwed together and the balance wheel actuates an anchor type verge. On the front plate in the upper right corner is stamped No 402 and under that is BB and under that is 24 Hr..
    Above the hand arbor is stamped
    Made for The Bristol Co. Waterbury, Conn. By Seth Thomas.
    Is this the Bristol Brass and clock Co.. What type of clock would this movement have been utilized. Thanks for looking. It has me stumped. Jim

2. jparker

jparker Guest

I recently had given to me a movement. This movement has a single hand arbor with no accomodation for a cannon tube. The movement is marked in the left side of the front plate with ST in the diamond and circle and around the circle is Made In USA. It is a balance wheel movement and the hand arbor accomodates the first wheel. The plates are screwed together and the balance wheel actuates an anchor type verge. On the front plate in the upper right corner is stamped No 402 and under that is BB and under that is 24 Hr..
    Above the hand arbor is stamped
    Made for The Bristol Co. Waterbury, Conn. By Seth Thomas.
    Is this the Bristol Brass and clock Co.. What type of clock would this movement have been utilized. Thanks for looking. It has me stumped. Jim

3. JParker;

You are a proud owner of a bank vault timmer. Or a light timmer. That movement was used as a timmer it never had the hour gearing. It usually had a big cam mounted on that shaft that was used to turn something on or off.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, Jim. This may be a red herring, but I have a Seth Thomas movement stamped L502 that is a parking meter clock. Only one hand arbor required. Mine has all the toys on it as it came out of service. Still works. Harold

5. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, We had a thread about this last year. The Bristol Company has been defunct for years and was a manufacturing concern of some sort. I researched it a couple of years back, and you can probably still find information about it on the internet (I want to say chemical but not sure). Anyway, they must of used a lot of movements in their production facility since there are a lot of these movements around. I personally own one, and I have seen a number on eBay. Mine runs backwards. It is a nice large movement, and I have yet to find a use for it other than as a novelty. Do a search on the Forum for Bristol Company. I seem to recall that my movement covers 24 hours in one full rotation of the time arbor. I would have to dig it out and play with it again to be certain. Regards,

6. jparker

jparker Guest

Thank you all for your replys. I did search the thread, however it talked about the Bristol Brass and clock Co.. I did not know if the Bristol Co., marked on the plate, was the same or not. We have a get together of my "clock buddies" (as my wife calls them) at a local auction on Saturdays. This is the "show and tell" for the week. I asked the guy if he wanted to sell the movement and he said no. Then he said "but I'll give it to you." Transaction complete! Jim

7. lamarw

lamarw Registered User

Jan 5, 2002
    Retired
    Lake Martin, Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim, Do a search "Seth Thomas Bristol". It is a post by PAclockadict dated Feb. 11, 2005.

8. brick_haus

brick_haus New Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Country Flag:
    Old thread I know, but since its unanswered I thought I would answer it for anyone else like myself doing an internet search.
    The 402 BB made for Bristol is the movement used in a Bristol portable voltmeter

4B1F9D0D-4901-4EA6-B0F4-E476E6551B1E.jpeg BB09B577-14E4-473F-931A-366EAA3C13E5.jpeg

PatH likes this.
  9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. Was this used to monitor the stability of the electric power provided to companies?

Uhralt

10. brick_haus

brick_haus New Member

Aug 13, 2019
    Country Flag:
    From what I understand, it was used to monitor voltage over a 24hr period to ensure that the contracted power suppliers were providing the voltage per the contract agreement.
    Back in the 19teens, this was apparently an issue...