Weights Of Weights On Ogees

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
I've accumulated numerous Ogees recently, and with them have come a variety of weights, or no weights at all, some round, some squared, some lighter, some heavier, very few with a provenance where I can be sure that the weights are original. Some of the clocks are 30 hour, some are eight-day. Is there a correct range of weights for these clocks, or will anything do as long as the time and strike sides function? Where are the square weights appropriate? Do the eight-day clocks take a heavier weight than the 30 hour ones? Should the strike weight be a bit lighter than the time-side weight? Does it matter? Please inform me. Thanks. George

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
They vary quite a bit but generally ... the weights around 7# are 8-Day and the weights around 2 1/2# are 1-Day.

George Pins

NAWCC Member
Jul 17, 2017
Willie X - Putting aside, for the moment, sorting out the "lightweights," round and square, I weighed all the "heavyweights," and you're right, no two are the same, varying from 8.3 (that's three-tenths of a pound, not three ounces) to 9.7 pounds. Lacking any more detail, I'll just assign two of them to each eight-day clock, and hope that one doesn't break loose, plunge through the base of the clock and the floor below, and kill my dog sleeping on the sofa on the lower floor. George