• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Weights and cat gut

Rogue Hunter

Mar 5, 2014
Saw a clock today that interests me. The gentleman said that the weights hang on cat gut "cords". So, I have some questions, if the forum will share their knowledge. How durable is the cat gut; would a person need to "condition" them from time to time, and; if one were to break, what would you replace it with?

Thanks,
Stephen

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
I would say it is very durable. I installed some on a tall case clock almost 40 years ago and it shows no sign of wearing out. As far as I know it is still available from suppliers, though I haven't looked for it in a long time. I don't think there is any way or need to condition it.

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
I agree with Jeremy, I have two clocks that use cat gut however one caveat, if the cat gut line is not secured it may"birds nest" on you and then you have to straighten it out like a back lashed fishing reel.....................
Bruce

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
You didn't say what sort of clock it is. I use it on older tall clocks. A good soaking (a few days) in olive oil is recommended to condition it before using it. With wall clocks and shelf clocks, I use braided nylon (fishing line).

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The most common failure modes are chafing and breaking at a knot. It should be smooth for it's entire length, no nicks. Shouldn't feel dry and scratchy.

Usually the line is easy to replace when you have a problem. Many think that the line is sort of a permanent part of the clock, when in fact the line has usually been replaced many times.

Best place to find good gut replacement is in the music store, or on line music stores. Musicians will only use the good stuff.

You may be better off with a synthetic ... much more readily available.

Good luck, Willie X

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I had good luck finding quality natural gut at tennis supplies on ebay. The "buy it now" price is about half of what you pay when you look at clock repair suppliers. Make sure that you measure the diameter of the gut cord before you order.

Uhralt

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Calvin2020
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions