Weight question

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
All,

Some years ago, a number of us restored and installed a Howard "round top" tower clock in an historic cupola in town. Of course, it didn't come with an instruction manual ;), so although we did a very professional restoration and installation, we were guessing as regards the required weight for the time and the strike train. The clock came with 6 cast iron weights, each weighing 125 pounds. We put those all on the strike side, and it works fine with a single compound pulley. In other words, the strike is actually functioning with 375 pounds. There were no weights left over for the time side, so I cast two concrete slabs with a hole in the middle of each, total weight 125 pounds. This side is not compounded, so the time side is actually running with 125 pounds. The clock has four 4 foot diameter dials abd is fitted with wooden hands. It works fine, and has for the last 20 years.

I have had occasion to wonder lately how much weight others of you with similar clocks use, particularly on the time side. And whether there is a rule of thumb as to how much weight to use on a tower clock.

Compliments of the season.

Doug

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
The one Howard twenty miles away, still operating under its own power I no longer attend to since the church was sold about 2 or so years ago. I know at least once a cable broke before I became involved so I can't speak for it, and don't have a record of the installed weights. However, there is a Seth ThomasI still attend where there was a similar question. Having seen another ST only about 20 miles away from the former, I was able to scrutinize its weight stacks. Roughly 150 pounds on the time train, 550 or so on the strike train. If I can locate the picures of the ST, I'll put them up in a follow up.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Members can now go to the Howard tower clock ledgers that have been digitized by NAWCC and look up various clocks and compare amounts of weight shipped with the model of clock and dial size.

Frank Del Greco

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Frank,

Thank you for information on that great resource! I found the listing for the Howard! Apparently, it was shipped on Dec. 30, 1904, to Watson Bros., Jewellers, not D E Black Jewellers as I had understood. You mentioned that the ledgers included specs for these clocks as shipped, and I was hoping that recommended weights would be included. But that information was missing on this particular clock. Still great information, though. Thanks.

Doug

Last edited:

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
Hello Frank,

Where on the website do you find the Howard Tower Clock records that you referred to?

Thank you,
Sam

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
Hi Doug,

For what it's worth, I have a Howard #2 Striker (essentially same clock as the round back) that I am currently running without being attached to motion works and hands or bell hammer. The amount of weight required to run the mechanisms (keeping time and ability to run strike side) is very minimal. I have 75 lbs on each side compounded once so effective weight is approximately 38 lbs on each side.

The real weight is required to run the motion works and hands under all weather conditions (ice) and the bell hammer (especially for large bell). I'm interested in this thread since I will soon need to increase my weight to achieve both items at full load.

Sam

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Sam,

The Howard records are available to NAWCC members only. I don't if you are a member. If you are, you can locate the records by logging in, then proceed to the NAWCC website. You may have to log in again, once there. Proceed to:

Library
Resources
Members only resources
E Howard & Co. records

From there, it get a bit dodgy. You have to know something about the past history of your clock. In my case, the clock I was enquiring about was shipped from Howard, to Calgary (Alberta), circa 1904-05. I went to the "C" pages in the ledger and found the listing for this clock under Calgary. Beside the single line listing is the number 170 which took me to page 170 in the ledger where I found out the clock was shipped to the agent Watson Bros. Jewellers in Calgary, on Dec. 30, 1904. The listing also gave some information regarding specs for the clock, and the dials. But alas, no information regarding the prescribed weights.

SamS

NAWCC Member
Feb 16, 2008
Hi Doug,

Thanks for the "path" to the Howard info. and, by the way, yes I'm a NAWCC member so logging in is no problem.

Sam

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDHusker
Encyclopedia Pages