• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Webster vs Ollie Baker Mainspring Winder

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
Hello

I am a newbie in clock maintenance and repair and could use some advice on mainspring winders. I have a loop end mainspring winder which I am currently using with some trepidation - and it looks to me like it won't always do the job for all spring designs.

Everything I have read or watched on youtube says the Ollie Baker is the one to get. However, it seems the Ollie Baker cannot be had for love nor money these days - but Websters are available. I lack the experience to know if I should hold out (for an indeterminate amount of time) for an Ollie Baker, or whether it makes sense to go with a Webster ...

All advice gratefully received!

- Ramsey

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've used a Webster for about 30 years in a small but busy commercial setting.

I like it. I think the tail stock is standard now? If not, be sure to get that.

Willie X

Ramsey Badawi

Oct 4, 2021
Country
Many thanks, Willie!
This is what I am looking at - looks like it has a tailstock to me - is this what you meant?

1635452207557.png

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, you need all that. I don't like the new plastic handle but it would be easy enough to make a steel one. Willie X

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Here's mine, made from an inexpensive bar clamp, and a cheap dual drive ratchet. I just use a socket to fit the let down tool chuck. Pretty stable, and the ratchet holds in either direction.

winder.jpg

Last edited:

Bkeepr

Jul 8, 2020
Maryland
Country
I bought a well-used Joe Collins winder on ebay. It is perfect. If it ever breaks, I will easily replace the wood parts with new wood and go for another 20 years. Not as pretty as a nice new machine, but it works just as well, and the price was far better.

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
What do you use to clamp barrell springs? Do you have sleeves?
I use a hose clamp for barrels, I just put a hole in the end to hold the clamp. I'm a hobbyist/collector, I work on mostly loop end type. But if I started doing more of the barrel type, the stationary end of the winder could be easily modified. It's a one handed set up, (unless I'm changing direction). These are the cheap ratchet, and bar clamp I started with. I built a simple crank out of a 1/4" extension for the back side.
winderclamp.jpg winderratchet.JPG winderbar.JPG

Reactions: wow

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I also use the Webster in my shop and it does the job well. It requires the operator to hold the barrel himself, but that has never been a problem for me (and I'm old :))

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I also use the Webster in my shop and it does the job well. It requires the operator to hold the barrel himself, but that has never been a problem for me (and I'm old :))
That’s one of the features I like on my Ollie Baker. It has a special steel catch that is designed to hold a large barrell. It catches on the joint of a hose clamp. Mine is strong enough to handle Fusee barrels and Sonora chime barrels. I’ve never used a Webster so I can’t compare.

Reactions: lpbp and Kevin W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-