Webster Tailstock

Arthur Cagle

May 22, 2003
Greater Baton Rouge Area, Louisiana
Country
Region
I've had the Webster spring winder with the tailstock for years, but have never used the tailstock. When is it appropriate to use the tailstock, and is there anything not obvious in its use that it's helpful to know? I've read a number of posts about the winder but still don't understand the use of this piece.

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
I am interested in looking at the replies to your question. I have a a couple of spring winders, one of which is like a Webster and I do not fully understand it as well. My friend said once you get on to it, it works well on barrel springs. I started on an Ollie Baker and have gotten use to it. I have a Bergeon tucked away, I don't know why, I have yet to use it.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
This video shows the use of it. But it all I see is that it holds the end of the arbor. And unless I'm mistaken most arbors are flat on that end?

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
Good video, I have marked just to see the others. This one is very muck like the Ollie Baker. The one I was thinking about has a finger that holds the inside of the spring. I will take a pic when I get home tonight.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The tailstock has a reversible bit with large and small cones. This is very helpful to stabilize the work piece. Without the tailstock the arbor is just hanging out at the end of the chuck. This is not good, especially with larger spring assemblies.

The earlier machines had a shorter rod (for the hooks) and no tail stock. Eventually they made the hook rod longer and included the tail stock with all machines.

If you have an older machine and want to add the tailstock you will have to replace the short rod with a longer one and buy the tailstock piece. Duno if it's still available as a separate part?

Willie X

Reactions: Dave T

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
Willie X, what is the piece on the Ollie Baker that is on the bed with the different hooks, looks like about a quarter square with a groove (ball mill groove) used for? I have never had the occasion to use it?

Thanks

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
If you buy one for an older machine, it won't fit without modification. Apparently they changed the diameter of the top bar to a little thicker, stronger one. So the part will fit very loosely and will potentially be dangerous to use.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Duno about an Ollie Baker but I'm sure any tailstock would be there for the same purpose. Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-