We are only human and mortal

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Sep 6, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    The very recent passing of two famous people, one by suicide, the other perhaps accidental, affects me more as I age. The passing of these two, one 66 years of age, the other 81 years, brings me closer to the realization we are all mortal and I begin to think and know I am closer to my passing from this human life than ever before.

I am soon in a few months to be 99 years of age and see no reason not to live to be a centenarian. In the year 2010, the American population was 309 million. Of that entire listing only 53,364 made it to 100 years of life…or in percentage reaching that fabled milestone the Americans were 0.017% of the population. Indeed, a very small number when you look at 309 million.

In the recent month and a half, I had five (5) injections of HYALGAN into a knee that lost its cartilage (I presume after years of wear and tear). Supposedly, about six (6) weeks after the final injection you should start feeling improvement in your bone-on-bone knee. I can only hope the injections did the job intended.

In the year 2015, I will become a 50-year member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. In that same year I will reach 100 years of age. In the Year 2014, I mailed a very nice certificate to a member who on November 4[SUP]th[/SUP] had reached his 100[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday. Not hearing one word in return gives me concern that he cannot respond (nor has his caretakers) who felt no need to reply. He is also listed as a 50-year member in the NAWCC on the Virtual Plaques created by me with the help of two other fine NAWCC members.

While my knee affected my attending Chapter 1 meetings, recently I created a beautiful 2015 Calendar featuring Shelf Clocks in our National Columbia, PA Museum.It was my pleasure to donate them to the 120 members of my other NAWCC Chapter 190 of Ventura, CA.

Having outlived two wives and two felines (cats) I now live with my beautiful and loving cat Johnnie II. I am still active in doing my daily chores, drive my car and often visit my favorite restaurant for breakfast, brunch or dinner. And, keep up with the task of posting on our NAWCC Message Board.

2. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan I have responded to your posts before. After living thru a bunch of pain myself until we could figure out what was going on, I sincerely hope that your injections bring relief for your pain.

Sincerely,

David

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wouldn't think a knee problem would really affect your life span, Dan. I totally expect you'll achieve the centurion mark. I'm looking forward to you getting there!

4. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hope your knee feels better soon Dan. Soon to be a member of quite an exclusive club by the stats!

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to all for your encouragement and good wishes that the five Hyalgan injections I had over the past month and half would be favorable to my knees and outlook concerning my living to reach the century mark.

Yesterday, I had my first signs the injections were beginning to take hold and do what they are supposed to do...bring some relief to my bone-on-bone knees. I am to call the orthopedist in a week or two, he wants to give me another injection of Cortisone that would intend to further help the relief of knee pain.

As I sit here before my computer typing this message I do feel less stressful in every way possible; knowing finally, I do feel less pain while sitting, walking with my walker and climbing 11 or 12 steps to get to my living quarters.

BTW: I did my laundry today, and next want to fill a couple of bags with useless paper correspondence of things I kept over the years. My desk on the ground floor is filled with memories going back into the 1980s ...that have no need to be kept any longer.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My father-in-law went on a "get rid of everything not needed" spree, and tossed out the things that would have meant the most to his survivors - hand written notes, letters written during his courtship, etc. Do remember that what is useless to you may be very valuable to those left behind :)