We are looking for feedback on the test site replacing this resource.

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Bangster, there are several color choices including green . . :thumb:. Go to the box in the lower left corner of the page and you can scroll through what is available right now. This is a "work in progress" and there will be changes made before (and after) the new MB goes live to provide users a palette of choices.

John Hubby
>>>>

bangster

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Tnx, John.

The "Just Practicing And Learning" forum isn't there, but needs to be. (Or if it's there, I didn't spot it.)

bangster

PS: Any chance of having a color choice same as current?

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
You can select "skins" (how the board looks) on the very bottom LH corner of the page. Some of them are as John noted "a work in progress" and not final versions or choice. Feedback is welcome as are suggestions for formats.

If you look at the choices NAWCCred has a similar color scheme (recently changed:eek:). The two board formats are different but the "look" is similar.

NAWCCnewBig is a large text version including the new NAWCC Header.

Ray Fanchamps NAWCC Message Board administrator.

Robert Gary

Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
Director
NAWCC Member
Feb 26, 2003
Southern California
Country
Region
I love the look of the new board (blue, green, chartreuse, or whatever!). I haven't had much chance to navigate it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

RobertG

Jim_Miller

NAWCC Member
Mar 6, 2001
Jackson, Michigan
Country
Region
Why is it that when I signed on to the new board, it said welcome______,,,your last visit was 12-31-1969 at 11:00 pm? Just curious as to why 1969 and not 2008.
Jim

kirxklox

Deceased
Dec 17, 2002
Dardanell, AR
www.kirxklox.com
Country
Region
They wanted to make you feel YOUNG again. It seems to be no more than a couple days since I graduated from High School.

I can remember it like yesterday. My first tour of duty in **** ***

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It may have something to do with when Linux was developed. :)

Some of the dates did not get copied in the pass we are using for testing.

If the board is computing a 32 bit relative date in seconds, 12/31/1969 might be date 0. I am too tired to do the calculation, but maybe someone else can.

Ray Fanchamps

Deceased
Deceased
Aug 24, 2000
LLareggub
Country
Region
The date is one of several glitches that seem to occur with the migration process.
Once the final migration is done and users visit the date will reset just fine. There will be some minor issues that are a mix of changes that the user can correct, (Birthday ?) some will reset after your first visit, (last visit) some I will have to correct when notified .
A lot of work has gone into opening the new resource with the existing content. The trade off to retaining the content has been the introduction of some odd "side effects" from the migration process. A lot of these have been dealt with but we do have some stragglers.
I trust those who posted and those who read the old content will appreciate the trade-off.
The comments on the new format seem favourable and this is just the beginning.

Ray Fanchamps NAWCC Message Board Admin

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi,logged on can't access the test site/page.
Bruce

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Hi Bruce,

What did you log on to? If you go to https://mb.nawcc.org you should be able to read the message board. If you want to post or reply, you need to log on. Your user name and password should be the same as here.

Can you explain more of what happened?

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Tom......"this forum not available",I was logged on.In previous situations I was logged on but not listed as a "who's online" user,also I had a message posted and it appeared but with no ID,curious.
Bruce

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Your user record looked fine to me. I had it send you the password reminder email. Let me know if you get it. It went to the skaana17 email account.

G

Hi Tom,refer to page 2, Message Board Transfer, 4th message down,notice no ID of sender and your message RE: password went to my spam folder.No problem with my password it has been the strange messages and behavior,maybe it's my machine.
Thanks,
Bruce

G

Hi Tom,refer to page 2, Message Board Transfer, 4th message down,notice no ID of sender and your message RE: password went to my spam folder.No problem with my password it has been the strange messages and behavior,maybe it's my machine.also even though i am logged in it doesn't show.
Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Barnes

Mar 20, 2004
Hi Tom,look at message board transfer,page 2 message 4 ....no sender ID and it was me.Thanks for the message RE: changing password but that hasn't been my problem it has been strange messages,no ID ,spam notices (now gone)and it may just be my machine.
Thanks for your help and concern,
Bruce

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
It could be your security settings. You have to allow javascript execution for the board to work.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Bruce said:
Hi Tom,look at message board transfer,page 2 message 4 ....no sender ID and it was me.Thanks for the message RE: changing password but that hasn't been my problem it has been strange messages,no ID ,spam notices (now gone)and it may just be my machine.
Thanks for your help and concern,
Bruce
I could not find a thread on the new board with that title.

How about copying and pasting the url for the thread you are talking about?

AHA! You are talking about this message board. Perhaps your user name has been edited to blank. I will look.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
What will happen to links to other threads or posts on this message board when the new board takes over. I was looking at a post on the new board that contained a link to another discussion. The link currently takes me back to this board. Is there a utility to recognize and convert/redirect such links to the new board, or will a static version of this board remain as a target for "fossil" links?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Internal links on this message board will be redirected to the new message board once this board is shut down. That facility has been tested and is working properly.

External references to threads and forums on this board will also be redirected to the equivalent threads and forums on the new board.

References that cannot be resolved will go either to the top of the new board or to an FAQ that will explain to the user what occured.

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
The search function, by the way, works GREAT ! :thumb: It is much faster than the current one, although not quite as versatile in the advanced search options. Is there a way to add a "search within these results" option to further refine a search that comes back with a large number of hits?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
There are literally hundreds of user generated improvements that have come out of the vBulletin community of users. I will see if there is a "further refine these results" feature available.

We are also testing with version 3.6.9 of the new software, which we had installed by the vendor last May. There are substantial upgrades that will come with our upgrade to the current 3.7.2 (or possibly 3.8) version that we will install once the migration is complete.

Version 4 of vBulletin, which is a complete rewrite having numerous new features available, is scheduled for release in 2009.

Much of the development emphasis is on media management and social networking enhancements. We will need to evaluate which of the new capabilities are a good fit for our needs.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
So far an fantastic job on the new board, find it easy to use, quicker,keep it going and thanks again.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Jerry said:
The search function, by the way, works GREAT ! :thumb: It is much faster than the current one, although not quite as versatile in the advanced search options. Is there a way to add a "search within these results" option to further refine a search that comes back with a large number of hits?
Jerry, it turns out the feature is already there. I found a modification that makes it more obvious, but it is not all that necessary.

The trick is that the "Search" at the beginning of the search string recap above the search results, is actually a link. It will take you to the advanced search string with the current search criteria preloaded. If you then add another term, you get another search with more strict criteria.

That is not exactly as I might have considered doing it, but it seems to work OK. I would prefer the way AbeBooks does it where the original string is pushed into the background.

The modification just underlines the word "Search" so it is more obvious that it is a link.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The new message board is a snapshot of this one taken on August 2nd. If you registered since then, like on August 16th, you do not have an account there.

Sorry about that. It is taking a little longer than I anticipated to get everything to a state we are comfortable with on the new board.

When we do the final transfer next week your account will be transferred.

Jeff C

NAWCC Business
May 26, 2005
Seven Fields, Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Will image uploading only be done through an online 3rd party like Flickr? I'm finding Flickr has a limit on the amount of pictures you can have on their site.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
We would prefer that you load all images directly onto the new board using the Attachment feature. I think you will find that it works better than the similar service on this message board.

A difficulty with using images that are not hosted on the message board is that they can go away. We will be keeping images in storage effectively forever. If necessary we will obtain additional storage to hold images.

We will be controlling the storage requirements by limiting the size of the images that are uploaded to 640 x 640 pixels. As long as the basic file size is within reasonable limits, we will resize the picture to that bounding box. The current file size limit is 1.5 Mb.

When pictures appear in posts they will be thumbnail images in a 200 x 200 bounding box that can be clicked to display the larger image.

To simplify image transfers, you will be able to use files on your workstation or files that are currently hosted elsewhere by entering the url in the upload dialog.

eclecticbeat

Jul 13, 2007
39°59'1"N 75°48'60"W
Country
Region
AdamB said:
The new VB board will not let me log in with my current user name and password. Been trying for days now. :?|
Adam, If you are already logged on here - it probably will not let you log-on there at the same time. If that is not the case log off here - clear your cashe and cookies and close the browser. Reopen and then try and log-in. If that doesn't work - you need guru help I cannot provide.:)

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The new board is a bit more flexible about logins.

Adam's problem is that his account here is too new to be there.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richard Dickson
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool