Waterbury schoolhouse or regulator won't speed up enough.

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
Hi all,

So I picked up an octagon schoolhouse/regulator clock a while back at auction, and I swear it had the pendulum bob and key when I bought it. A month or 2 later when I get into it, they are missing. So, the key is a standard #6, nothing special there, but I don't know what I can do for a pendulum bob. I've put on some plain types from mantles, and they all make the clock run too slow. Pictures of other similar clocks show a plain brass bob with an adjustment nut.

I'm wondering if I need a lighter bob or if there's something inside (I've not opened it up, as it runs, just slow) I need to look into?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The bobs are probably not the issue, but getting an adjustable bob would surely help. #10236 from Timesavers would probably work. If it's still running slow, you might have to shorten the hanger wire. It's quite possible that the suspension spring was broken, and they replaced the unit but did not regulate it.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
A longer pendulum wire bail might do it. You can also use a smaller pendulum bob, anything that makes the pendulum's center of gravity lower. Look at the back board and lower door area. The old pendulum has often left some arc shaped 'ghost' marks. These marks will show you where the old pendulum was for many years.

Willie X

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
A longer pendulum wire bail might do it. You can also use a smaller pendulum bob, anything that makes the pendulum's center of gravity lower. Look at the back board and lower door area. The old pendulum has often left some arc shaped 'ghost' marks. These marks will show you where the old pendulum was for many years.

Willie X
The OP said it's running slow, Willie :)

mr_byte

Nov 25, 2009
N. Central Florida
Country
Region
The bobs are probably not the issue, but getting an adjustable bob would surely help. #10236 from Timesavers would probably work. If it's still running slow, you might have to shorten the hanger wire. It's quite possible that the suspension spring was broken, and they replaced the unit but did not regulate it.
I was looking at 10236, thinking the lighter weight would help. I thought the bob it had was a larger one, but I guess I'll have to pack it home and look into it more in depth.

Thanks.
gallerynospecifics.jpg BTW, what is this type of clock called? This one is similar to mine, with the "chisel" shaped drop. The one in the pic has a strike, but mine is time only. The hands are the same, however. I called them regulators...but I'm wondering if schoolhouse is the proper term.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The OP said it's running slow, Willie :)
10 - 4, change "longer, smaller. lower" to shorter,larger,higher ... :)

Yes, I would call it a "schoolhouse" clock but I am not sure what you call the slanted back bottom. This feature is not that common common on American clocks but seen a lot on English wall clock cases.

Willie X

Last edited:

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
The WEIGHT of the bob has very little effect on regulation. The key here is "shorter". However you choose to do it - suspension - hanger - etc. Total length from hanger to bottom of bob must be shorter.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I was looking at 10236, thinking the lighter weight would help. I thought the bob it had was a larger one, but I guess I'll have to pack it home and look into it more in depth.

Thanks.
133336.jpg BTW, what is this type of clock called? This one is similar to mine, with the "chisel" shaped drop. The one in the pic has a strike, but mine is time only. The hands are the same, however. I called them regulators...but I'm wondering if schoolhouse is the proper term.
At it's least specific, this type of clock is a drop (octagon) clock. In fact, the name of the clock is Drop Octagon. Tran duy Ly shows it in his book on Waterbury clocks from the 1875 catalogue. It came as tome only or time and strike. Some do refer to them as chisel drops, and I believe that Welch and Atkins also made this style. Also New Haven. I do like this style.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Tran duy Ly shows it in his book on Waterbury clocks from the 1875 catalogue. It came as tome only or time and strike. Some do refer to them as chisel drops, and I believe that Welch and Atkins also made this style. Also New Haven. I do like this style.
I have worked on a New Haven and a Waterbury recently, that had the 'chisel' bottom, both were time only. That is a coincidence though. I don't generally see a lot of these.

The Waterbury had the usual scalloped Waterbury pendulum with wire bail, cast iron though, not lead like the repos.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thequalityone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre