• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Waterbury Regulator # 70 weight?

Randy Chapin

NAWCC Member
Mar 8, 2005
Recently purchased a Waterbury Regulator # 70 from an old family estate where it has been for decades. It has the original mercury pendulum and a weight that I have doubts is original. My question to the experts, is what is the correct amount of weight for this movement please? I have cleaned and oiled the movement and it continues to fail. I am thinking that perhaps it is insufficient weight. Your help please.
rc

#70a.jpg #70b.jpg

Reactions: Jim Andrews

Randy Chapin

NAWCC Member
Mar 8, 2005
It came with an 8 lbs weight as shown, would run for maybe 30 minutes usually less and stop. Tried it many time but kept stopping.
Then, I put an extra tall case clock weight on weighing 14 lbs and it has run now for 8 hours. What is the correct weight for this movement?
rc

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If it won't run with an 8 pounder, you likely have some serious issues with the movement. Most wall clocks run merrily along with something around 6 pounds.

A 14 pounder will run a worn out English tall clock with heavy unbalanced hands, so that's not a meingful test. :)

Willie X

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
I'd suggest a beat amplifier with the smaller weight to see if you can hear anything dragging. What type of movement is this? I see the large sweep second, but I cant tell if it's a pinwheel or not.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
randy - you're a long time member so obviously you're aware of both the need for the clock to be in-beat, and the beat adjuster on the pendulum rod (just below the bottom edge of the dial)... yes? i would NOT run it with the heavier weight.

these movements are typically built like tanks, but did just have to rebus the front great wheel pivot hole on one of mine.

also... is yours deadbeat or pinwheel? this might be over-doing things, but i... very very carefully... polish the pinwheel (or deadbeat) surfaces with 4000 grit sandpaper... fine enough to smooth and polish without removing much material. i also apply the slightest hint of light clock oil to the verge surfaces. and... that is all after making sure that all gears spin freely, that depthing seems ok, etc.

also... have you tried without that sweep second hand, which is clearly not original and may not be balanced correctly? i would try running it without the second hand and see how she goes. timesavers sells more appropriate replacements.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
As Jim just mentioned, a beat amp is the best thing I know of to point out power problems that aren't obvious. Just leave it on, in the area you are working. The 'soft ticks' will usually come and go in some sort of a pattern. This can point you to a certain area of the gear train. Good luck, Willie X

Jim Andrews

NAWCC Member
Oct 11, 2018
Oklahoma panhandle
Country
Region
I experienced the same symptoms on my pinwheel this summer after overhaul. What I found was the crutch was dragging slightly on the opening in the bottom of the case. Slight finger pressure to move it forward just a bit fixed my issue. It was hard to pinpoint because everything looked fine and it ran great for a while. Bruce's thought about removing the seconds hand is also a good troubleshooting step. You'll figure it out :)

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Couple comments/suggestions, have you tried running without the seconds hand or any hands? Also, have you tried a lesser weight say around 4 pounds? Especially on pinwheels excessive weight can cause binding/drag on the escapement. Most pinwheels seem to happily run on around 3 - 4 pounds. Also, the seconds hand looks to be a calendar hand and is probably not balanced. You may also want to look at the centre seconds bushing for binding.
Good luck
Cheers,
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-