Waterbury Pat. Sept. 13. 1898 Main springs

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
I'm trying to find out the correct mainspring for this Waterbury Clock - a cheep buy just out of curiosity (see picks). The spring I found in it are 3/4 x 0.125 x circa 72 for the strike side and 3/4 x .014 x circa 76 for the Time. The damages I found on both T and S are quite extensive: the strike main wheel had 9 bent teeth and the 2 S lantern pinion smashed; on the time side the 2 T lantern pinion damaged. It might have been a click springs problem on both side, but I'm not sure these are the original springs, although they are not broken. On the mainspring chart I found a 3/4" x .012" x 72" for Waterbury Mantel Clock Strike but nothing for the Time. Can anyone help? Thanks

Attachments

stewey

Dec 20, 2012
Oshawa, Ontario.
Country
Actually, there's not much to read is there? Usually, these patent documents have quite a detailed written description following the schematics. It appears to be missing here.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Actually, there's not much to read is there? Usually, these patent documents have quite a detailed written description following the schematics. It appears to be missing here.
You need to check "Full Pages" to get the complete document. There's actually quite a lengthy write up.

stewey

Dec 20, 2012
Oshawa, Ontario.
Country
Thanks for that, Steven: I didn't realize about the "Full Pages" bit. You're the one who introduced me to these patent searches, and I thank you again...It's very interesting, and, obviously, I'm still learning.

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks, Stewey and Steven. That's a quite interesting link although I didn't find references to the springs :-(

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Thanks, Stewey and Steven. That's a quite interesting link although I didn't find references to the springs :-(
No, it surely did not. Mostly a side issue, part of our institutional AADD. I will move this thread to Clock Repair, where you might get the help you require.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Attention Deficit [Hyperactivity] Disorder.

JTD

stewey

Dec 20, 2012
Oshawa, Ontario.
Country
Really! Well, Steven, that's a patently interesting diagnosis of my assumption that Orso might be interested in which particular portion of the clock mechanism the patent applies to. My sincerest, deepest, and profound apologies for not actually addressing the spring issue.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Really! Well, Steven, that's a patently interesting diagnosis of my assumption that Orso might be interested in which particular portion of the clock mechanism the patent applies to. My sincerest, deepest, and profound apologies for not actually addressing the spring issue.
I was just joking. I am as guilty of it as the next guy, stewey!

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello orso,

I have two of these. One is from a cast iron "Bellevue" which I have just started to restore. The other I just have the movement and dial/bezel.

The "Bellevue" is count wheel, open escapement, missing a pallet, missing one or two hammers, click spring problem (flat style), and has a loose crutch rod. Lots of work.

The other is count wheel, dead beat between the plates, has two hammers (lower is half hour in passing), steel mounting feet for a wooden case?, click spring problems. Reference movement.

The mainsprings are packed in there so tight I can't get a coil out to measure. From the look and feel of the mainsprings, the strike side is thinner than the time side. When I get the open escapement one apart, I will post the measurements here for the record and PM you in case you don't look here again.

Jim

P1010816.jpg P1010817.jpg P1010818.jpg P1010819.jpg

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello orso,

In poking through my Tran Duy Ly Waterbury book (Arlington Press), I found a variation of the movement on page 471, illustration 1776. That movement is circa 1923 and, from the look of the set up with a single gong rod, was probably in a tambour. This basic movement was used from 1898 to at least 1923, so there should be a fair number of them out there for parts.

Jim

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks, Jim; very kind. This one is rack and snail; only one strike rod and hammer in a mantel case ( I can barely read the label ; it looks like BEATON or Seaton). It seems that the same plates have been used in a few model with different trains; I found pictures of a ship bell model and a rare one named Angelus; the only differences being the snail. Still some bushing to go, but I was able to fix the main wheel and the two lantern pinion of T/S 2nd wheel. See pic. I used the good main wheel to index the other on the lathe in a quite strange arrangement :)

Attachments

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello orso,

Getting mine apart was a bit of a pain. I'm just a hobby guy and haven't tackled one of these before. Had a mainspring unhooked off the pickup pin so I couldn't do the regular let down thing. Had to pry off a couple of bits off the ends of arbors outside the plates. Left a third one. Scary stuff for me. Mr. Waterbury decided to put one of the pillar screws right behind the count wheel lever! Yuck. Turns out my click springs are both fine but I have a mangled click and a ratchet with a couple of bad teeth. I may be stealing more than the hammer from my other movement. From the look of your 9 tooth repair you are way ahead of me skill-wise. Nice job. No rust either. I have that to deal with, too. The donor movement is in better shape rust-wise

Anyway, the springs are now clean and dry (with some rusty spots) and I measured them in a variety of non-rusty places holding the coil straight with my fingers and I used a micrometer. I got 0.013" for the strike side spring and 0.014" for the time side spring. Both are 3/4" wide and of indeterminate length. Both springs match and look like they belong but I am not the first guy in there because I found an "S" on S1 that I did not put there. Looks like your springs are the right size.

Since you are following the thread, there is no PM coming.

Italian flag and orso. Cool.

Jim

orso

Jun 9, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Thanks again, Jim.I'll try to re-use the spring I found in it. I was just wandering what two unbroken springs were doing in a movement with so extensive damages on both T and S. Even the click are ok and there are no damages to the ratchets.
I'm also an hobbyist and yes I'm Italian spending a lot of time in Minnesota since I retired. :)
Let me know how it goes with your clock.
Andrea

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
art&clocks
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller