Waterbury Oxford mirrorside info needed

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by craig, Apr 11, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. craig

craig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Am looking for a clear picture of a Waterbury Oxford mirrorside clock base. The picture shows the parts that are missing that I will attempt to recreate.
    Thanks so much for your help.
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are 2 pics from Tran Duy Ly's Waterbury book.

Good news: two slightly different angles.
    Bad news: not the greatest drawings.

Attached Files:

3. craig

craig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Chris,
    Appreciate you taking the time to look up an post the pics. I've loaned out my books, so your picture helps.

What I was hoping to find was an actual photograph that I could get some clear details of the design from.

The customer has asked me to fix his clock. I will take some old walnut and chemically dye it to the right aged color. Then build up several layers of shellac; topping off the last layer with shellac flat in the finish. Then remove the finish burrs with 400 grit and paraffin oil. A coat of pigmented wax applied with 0000 steel wool would follow. The part would then be glued to the case with hide glue. The last part would be to age the repair by embedding dust in the corners with a fine brush. This process seems to yield the best results. Now, if I could find an actual photo, I could get started.
    Again, Chris really appreciate your efforts.

Craig

4. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    Is this the clock you are looking for? If it is, send me an email and I will take some close up pictures.

Attached Files:

5. craig

craig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Harold,
    Sorry for the delayed response. Thank you so much for taking the time to post a picture. Waterbury's base is different from Ansonia or New Haven. The base on the Waterbury clock has a routed profile that curves toward the front.
    Am still hoping someone will have a clear picture of a Waterbury.
    Thanks again,
    Craig

6. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: