• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Waterbury Movements

clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
Country
I was wondering...Did Waterbury make different size movements for the black mantles? I found a good Waterbury front mount movement in storage and went to put it in my Dakota case and it is too wide to fit the space alloted! The big gears by the mainsprings are the problem....Any input anyone?

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I suppose it is altogether possible, depending on period of manufacture and size of case. Are you sure the movement was intended for a black mantel or similar clock?

clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
Country
I was told that it came out of a Black mantle that fell apart some time ago and well silly me....I just assumed that it would fit all the Waterbury mantle cases!

lamarw

Jan 5, 2002
Lake Martin, Alabama
Country
Region
A quick search through Tran's "Waterbury Clocks and Watches" book would lead one to believe there were several different movements for various black mantel clocks.

The Waterbury book actually does not have a section on movements as you find in Ly's Seth book. It also does not show pictures of the movements with the clocks.

It does describe some black mantel clock movements with strikes on the hour and half hour on a gong. Then there are movements with the hour strike on a gong and the half hour strike on a cup bell. The book also depicts black mantel clocks with open escapements.

It would stand to reason (in my mind) Waterbury probably had numerous movements for their black mantel clocks. There are Waterbury mantel clocks from approx. 1891 to 1925 depicted in the book. The earlier clocks seem to have the hour and half hour strikes on the gong. The later years appear to of had the hour strike on the gong and the half hour on the cup bell.

Some of Waterbury's black mantel clocks were of enameled iron cases and some were with enameled wood cases. I would suspect these two cabinet variations would of held different movements.

Your findings also seem to indicate they produced different movements.

I have numerous Waterbury clocks, but I do not think I have any of their black mantels. So, maybe someone else can check their personal collection for you.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
The black iron Waterbury's I've seen had the smaller horseshoe shaped movements.
How far out is yours, Clockhoarder?

clockhoarder

May 14, 2009
Country
I did see today a movement that is in an iron Waterbury and it resembles an Ansonia movement versus the one that I do have that looks like a Sessions movement...Hope I made sense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-