• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Waterbury movement

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I am at the end of my rope, in 30 years of clock repair I'm about to give up on my first repair. I received a Waterbury porcelain cased clock in for repair, that had multiple problems, someone had been in it before. The mainwheels would touch when it tried to run and lock it up. There were bent teeth there and soldered pionion wires with plently of gooped on solder. I had a master machinist make me two new mainwheels and one second wheel, then it would kind of run. I sent it over to him, he had it for six months, couldn't make it any better, and said "never wanted to see it again".

I have looked at Regional Marts, National Marts for the last two years and have not seen one like it.

It is a Waterbury, time and strike, rack and snail, with Pat date of Jan. 13 1891, brass bushed nickle plated plates, between the plate escapement. The movement measures as follows:

Heigth 4 5/16"
width 2 9/16"

If any one has one they can spare let me know, I will be unable to respond for a week after Easter.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863
rainbow@bmi.net

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
I am at the end of my rope, in 30 years of clock repair I'm about to give up on my first repair. I received a Waterbury porcelain cased clock in for repair, that had multiple problems, someone had been in it before. The mainwheels would touch when it tried to run and lock it up. There were bent teeth there and soldered pionion wires with plently of gooped on solder. I had a master machinist make me two new mainwheels and one second wheel, then it would kind of run. I sent it over to him, he had it for six months, couldn't make it any better, and said "never wanted to see it again".

I have looked at Regional Marts, National Marts for the last two years and have not seen one like it.

It is a Waterbury, time and strike, rack and snail, with Pat date of Jan. 13 1891, brass bushed nickle plated plates, between the plate escapement. The movement measures as follows:

Heigth 4 5/16"
width 2 9/16"

If any one has one they can spare let me know, I will be unable to respond for a week after Easter.

rainbow@bmi.net

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm probably not going to be able to help a seasoned veteran like you, but would appreciate some more details about what is happening with the clock. Your observations, suspicions and what you've already tried will be helpful, as well as some photo's. I probably can't help you, but it might really help me :)

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Unfortunitly this not the movement, I have a spare of this one, and also see it occasianially on EBAY.

Bushings, endshake, are OK. It appears to lose power at times, and it may be where the pinions were soldered. Clearances between all the wheels are very minimal, but seem to be clearing. Some day I hope to be able to post pictures, but not at this time.

Thanks for replying,

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Can you post a pic of the movement; I have a very thin Waterbury movement that was used in china cases. I bought it off of Ebay for the fly shaft and the rest is in my drawer. Perhaps it's the one. Only thing is, it brass plates. I'll check the pat dates anyway, Chris

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Maybe use a oxy acetylene torch on it, it might help. :biggrin: :biggrin: