Waterbury Moon Phase Long Case clock ID

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by delemeyer, Jan 8, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. delemeyer

delemeyer Registered User

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello! Need help identifying a grandfather clock that's been in the family (we believe) for well over 100 years. It's fully functioning, recent cleaned and oiled, and we find the etched name of Waterbury and a hand-etched serial number of 271017-090. Any idea what model this may be and approximate year of manufacture? Love this beautiful time piece. BTW - a short video with detail images and the chime sound at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oPP74yDKkg

Clock and Glenn.jpg

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have checked two sources for your clock, and I don't find that case listed in them, the dial, pendulum appear correct, and the others date in the 1910-1912 period. They could have been manufactured before of after that date.

3. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My best guess is that your clock is the Herschede Pattern No.227 from around 1916. That clock was 7 ft tall by 19" wide and 12-1/4" deep. Let us know how I did.

4. delemeyer

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Brian - the clock works are clearly Waterbury. Is it possible for a Herschede pattern to contain Waterbury works?

- - - Updated - - -

I have not been able to find (online) any other pictures with a case like this one. The "guts" are clearly Waterbury. Could this have been a custom case? We did not investigate the case separately for additional identifiers

5. delemeyer

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Do you have a picture of the Herschede Pattern No. 227? Can you share, please?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you. I am curious what sources you checked. Might there be additional resources that could be consulted?

6. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    I am no expert; just that the hand etched serial number looks very much like typical watch/clockmakers' scribbles denoting service date. Possibly 27th Oct 1917, the date it was serviced?!

7. delemeyer

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Unknown.... Thanks for the input.

8. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Any other marks on the case?
    Tinker Dwight

9. delemeyer

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Yes - 17 and 27 on the long case door trim and 15 and 27 in two places on the head 15 and 27 Head.jpg 17_27 Long Case.jpg

10. delemeyer

Jan 6, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much! This is enormously helpful. I've had one other appraiser suggest that the date for the clock is, indeed, 1910/1911, but the case is a custom-built case to the buyer's specifications. They have seen only one other custom Waterbury case.

11. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Calif. USA
    Waterbury tall clocks are just not that common. I don't think
    they made them for too many years.
    Tinker Dwight