• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Waterbury minute hand

neil johnson

New User
Jul 19, 2020
Country
I have a Waterbury clock and the minute hand no longer fits the arbor as it’s dimensions have become to big and is sloppy , I would like ideas on how to repair please.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I have a Waterbury clock and the minute hand no longer fits the arbor as it’s dimensions have become to big and is sloppy , I would like ideas on how to repair please.
It would help to know more about the hand - a photo would be so good.

Does the hand have a collet or not? How did the hand hole become so enlarged that it no longer fits ? That's quite unusual.

Please let us have more details.

JTD

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
Use a tight taper pin and hold the hand in place. They usually have play.
no… too much slop is too much slop… and with some clocks too tight a taper pin (or hand nut) will stop the clock. we need photos of the hand showing the hole and the end of the arbor… as big and clear as possible. it may need a new bushing, and you may be able to peen it back into shape (although i’ve never been very successful with that approach). you might also be able to solder a flattened (originally domed) hand washer w square hole in the back of the hand). kind of depends what’s there, which we can not yet see

Reactions: JTD

Calvin H. Huynh

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
no… too much slop is too much slop… and with some clocks too tight a taper pin (or hand nut) will stop the clock. we need photos of the hand showing the hole and the end of the arbor… as big and clear as possible. it may need a new bushing, and you may be able to peen it back into shape (although i’ve never been very successful with that approach). you might also be able to solder a flattened (originally domed) hand washer w square hole in the back of the hand). kind of depends what’s there, which we can not yet see
All American movements usually have a few minutes of slop.

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
All American movements usually have a few minutes of slop.

good to know.... except i completely disagree. while a 'few' can be two, it's typically three... either way even two is too many. there might be that much slop before servicing but there shouldn't be after servicing.

and... i would caution against absolute pronouncements as if they're statements of fact. in my experience, the more experienced the person, the less likely they are to make absolute pronouncements as each situation is different. it's ok to generalize, but absolute statements are too easily proven wrong.

i am running over 50 clocks and only two have excessive play in the minute hands... and only because i haven't dealt with them yet.

YMMV

Reactions: JTD

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Does the hand have a coned washer in front of it? That might be the issue. The slop in the hand is only an issue while setting the clock manually. It will stay in place with a hand washer after it's set until the next time you need to move it. Old hands are hard to find, so we learn to put up with some of the minor quirks. ;)

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-