• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Waterbury Mantel Clock

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
Hi Everyone,

I have just added another Waterbury mantel clock to my collection, identical to the one I last posted about.

With both of these clocks, when I first removed the back cover I found a wire rod with a shepherds hook on the one end and the other just pushed into the side of the clock case.

I did not think this was original the first time and simply removed it.

Now that I have encountered this again, I am wondering what the intended purpose was, and can only assume this was to hold and clip over the pendulum arm to help protect the spring when being moved.

My collection of Waterbury clocks is now growing unintentionally as this new addition was purchased just for spares, but with a bit of TLC, it is keeping good time again and like the other one is in really good condition for its age. (100 years)

However I still have the problem from my first post about these clocks that I have two other mantel clocks with the same internal verge movements both of which have damaged/worn out/chipped verges.

As I am in the UK we do not have/or I cannot find any suitable spare parts.

So any further help on finding a replacement Verge and the data to use and methods of fixing would be most appreciated.

As so far, I have only been to find a couple of spares or repair clocks and with a basic service they been up and working again!

Thanks for your help

PC024063.JPG PC024064.JPG P8144059.JPG P8144060.JPG

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
You are correct the wires are to hold the end of the suspension spring when transporting, it"s so it doesn't tick and get the strike out of sequence. as to finding a verge you'll either have to use a replacement which rarely fit, or find a used one from someone.

good luck

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
..... I have two other mantel clocks with the same internal verge movements both of which have damaged/worn out/chipped verges.
Your verge pictures are too fuzzy and do not show the worn/damaged surfaces so I can't really give specific advice. It is very seldom that a verge has to be replaced. There are two common solutions: 1) sometimes the escape wheel can be moved on its arbor so that the teeth contact an unworn part of the verge, 2) the ruts in the contact surfaces can sometimes be ground out and polished, but you may need to adjust the pallet spacing after the "repair".

RC

Mr Upcycle

Jun 20, 2022
Country
Thank you both, Ipbp and R Croswell, for your comments and suggestions.

Good to know, I was right on what I thought the wire was used for.

However, still a bit strange how it is just pushed into the side of the clock case.

Regarding the condition of the Verges.

One of them is very bad and has been repaired before.

It looks like one section of the tip had broken off or been worn away and a new section soldered on.

The other verge, has a chip on the one side of the tip.

Both wheels in the movements look to be OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nrizzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent