Solved Waterbury Kitchen Clock Movement - Bushings

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by sloker, Nov 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all -

I picked up a Waterbury Kitchen Clock a little while back and I'm finally getting around to restoring the movement. I took the movement out of the case and put it in a test stand to have a closer look. I was slightly confused by the bushings (see photos). Has this clock been re-bushed or are they factory original? Note that the bushings all protrude from the plate slightly, which I found very strange. I've seen stamped bushings on ST clocks I've worked on, but never something like this.

WaterburyKCMovement - 1.jpg

WaterburyKCMovement - 2.jpg

Thanks,
    Steve

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe you probably have steel plates with brass inserts for bushings. Check it with a magnet. That's factory original. You can bush the inserts, if you find that's what you have. It's a way better design than the steel plates without them ;)

sloker likes this.
  3. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indeed they are steel plates. When I disassembled this last night I noticed the mainsprings had worn the finish off on the inside. So, what would be the recommendation for bushing this? Do I bush inside the existing brass bushings or do I knock the factory bushings out and replace with my own?

Also, should I apply some sort of finish to make it look like brass again after it's all cleaned up and bushed?

Thanks!

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I added to my post after you saw it :) Just bush them like normal plates. No need to knock the inserts out.

sloker likes this.
  5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 R. Croswell, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    I'll add one thing to what Shutterbug has already said; The actual pivot holes are often not centered in the brass "inserts". When installing bushings, leave the brass inserts in place and use the smallest practical diameter bushing. These are really very good running movements.

RC

I would just clean the plates and leave them as they are. These movements are usually out of sight anyway.

6. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks RC - that is extremely good to know. I would definitely have (incorrectly) assumed the holes were centered in the inserts.

So, still one question I have about this one: It has a brass-looking finishing on it that has worn off in spots and will likely be further worn by my clean efforts. Is there something specific I need to reapply a finish?

7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't try. Like RC said - no one will see it in the clock. They used a brass color to 'cover' the steel and make it look brass.

8. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The finish would have been a brass plating so yes you would need special equipment to replate the frame. You would likely need to first remove all the old plating. Then you would not want to plate the inside of the pivot holes or the pillars. It would be easy to copper plate it but a lot of prep work. I'm not sure what chemistry you would use to brass plate it. You could spray with "brass" lacquer or enamel but that would make it more difficult to clean the next time. I would just leave it as is - no need to hide what it is as it is part of the history of this clock.

RC

sloker likes this.
  9. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Whoops. I should have fully-read RC's post :confused: Guess I stopped at the signature.

10. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks again RC and sorry for skipping what was after your sig in your first reply. No way I want to do anything like brass plating. I'll just leave them.

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just be sure your drying operation is good. The plates can rust if allowed to remain wet.

12. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks shutterbug - I use a waterless cleaner and rinse, so I should be ok for avoiding rust issues.

13. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And thank your lucky stars that the movement has those brass inserts. I finally finished my second all-steel Ingraham kitchen clock and I think my life will be complete if I never see another. The steel plate Ingrahams are, however, an interesting demonstration of bearing materials, for it is the steel pivots that wear out, not the holes in the steel plates. To restore it, I repivoted the arbors and pressed a brass bushing into each hole without having to worry about depthing.

Mark Kinsler

sloker likes this.