Waterbury / Ingraham; Questions before final assembly

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Hudson, Jan 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got it as a basket case. The case and door was in pieces and the movement was in need of repair.
    I decided to repair the case and the movement. The movement now runs great and the case is back together. Now that I am ready to complete the assembly, questions arise.

The worn/torn label on the back of the case indicates: Waterbury Clock Co.

The movement:
    E. INGRAHAM &CO
    PAT DOC T 8 78 NOV 11 79
    BRISTOL CON
    N​

It has a recoil strip pallet escapement, unlike my other INGRAHAM movements that have half deadbeat escapements.

Questions:

1) Is this obviously a marriage or would Waterbury use an Ingraham movement?

2) Do the movement markings date it to 1879?

3) What is the correct stacking of the 3 case top pieces? see (picture)

4) A door glass is needed. I've been looking at the Timesavers offerings of kitchen clock glass with images.
    What image would be appropriate for this Waterbury case?

Any other information, such as the name of the clock case and date, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hudson

Attached Files:

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Your clock is the Waterbury Snowden. Vol. 1 of Tran Duy Ly's book on Waterbury clocks (arlingtonbooks.com) shows it from the 1883 catalogue. It may also have been offered a few years before and after.

The Ingraham movement is undoubtedly not original to the case. The 1879 patent date means that the movement was not made before that date. The company name on the movement, "E. Ingraham & Co.," indicates that it was made sometime between 1879 and 1884, when the company name was changed to The E. Ingraham Company.

The stacking of the finial parts may be of no consequence, but I can't be sure. In any event the catalogue illustration shows something completely different. I can't help much on the glass, but I will upload a picture of the catalogue illustration in a few minutes.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Here is the catalogue illustration. Note the finial style. The door glass shown is one of probably several that might have been used on the Snowden.

Snowden.JPG

4. Hudson

Hudson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Retired
    Spicewood
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you!