• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Waterbury Gingerbread

Kieran Pern

Aug 22, 2020
UK
Country
Hi All,

I recently obtained this for very little. It really surprises me how cheap they are as they just go and go! Would anyone know what this model is called and I know the 5 3/8" means a length of something but can't remember what exactly. Maybe someone can tell me as I have had differing thoughts from various people.

Many thanks

Waterbury2.jpg Waterbury1.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The number doesn't mean anything specific. It was used to get the right pendulum with the movement when the clock was being manufactured. A bigger number would indicate a longer pendulum. Willie X

Reactions: Kieran Pern

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Kieran,

Usually, we are a little faster on model names. Your clock is the "Morris" and is found on page 453 of Tran Duy Ly's Waterbury Clocks and Watches. The image is from an 1886 catalogue so the actual date of manufacture could be some years sooner or later. Other information in the caption is: Height, 20 1/4 inches. Dial, 6 inches. Eight-day Half-hour, Strike.

Jim

Reactions: Kieran Pern

Freckles

New User
Feb 1, 2022
Country
I recently purchased a Waterbury clock, but the label is gone, and despite hours of searching online, I've not been able to determine the model or year. If anyone could identify my clock, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, I wound it up when I got it home and it runs and keeps perfect time. I just love it!

Waterbury Clock.png

Reactions: dcjens

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That is what's known as the Eldred, and I've heard it's from the period between 1890 and 1900, although I can't confirm that. This one has been in my family for at least 75 years.
Eldred 1.jpg Eldred 2.jpg

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello Freckles,

Tran Duy Ly's Waterbury Clocks and Watches has an image of the "Eldred" taken from an 1891 trade catalogue. Not that important, but you have the same glass design that is illustrated in the book.

Jim

Freckles

New User
Feb 1, 2022
Country
Hello Freckles,

Tran Duy Ly's Waterbury Clocks and Watches has an image of the "Eldred" taken from an 1891 trade catalogue. Not that important, but you have the same glass design that is illustrated in the book.

Jim
I'd love to see that image... I'd buy that book, but don't want to spend the $. But thanks for letting me know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutch Calibre
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-