Waterbury clock will not stop chiming

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by artpro, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. artpro

artpro New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I recently purchased a Waterbury Festus model gingerbread clock. ( 5 3/8 mechanism I think) I managed to get the time mechanism working, but the clock would not chime at all.

When I examined the mechanism I discovered that at some point someone must have taken the mechanism apart, but when they reassembled it they managed to miss aligning one of the chime mechanisms spindles into its hole on the face plate. It was just jammed against the face plate so obviously was unable to turn. I loosened the screws on the face plate a few turns and managed to push the spindle back into alignment with the hole in the face plate and re-tightened the screws.

After winding the chime mechanism it began to chime and I thought things were fixed, however the chime continued beyond 12 chimes and would not stop. It will only stop once the spring totally unwinds.

I don't know a lot about clock mechanisms, but cannot spot anything "obviously" wrong. I was hoping someone may have an idea about what may be going on and if there are some suggested fixes I could try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's probably a count wheel type movement, and the fix will require that you take the movement out of the case, let down the springs, and do some fairly minor adjustments. If you're up to the task, lets start by getting the movement out and posting some pictures of it.