Waterbury Clock Identification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Harry St Clair, Aug 14, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Harry St Clair

Harry St Clair Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Anyone know the name of this 1880's Waterbury Clock? DSC09900.JPG

2. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It appears to be the "Ulster" model. Tran Duy Ly's 2001 Waterbury book shows an example from the 1890 Waterbury catalog. Of course it was likely offered for at least a few years before and after that year. David, Owen.or

3. eric philipson

eric philipson Registered User

Nov 27, 2017
    Male
    welder
    newcastle upon tyne
    Country Flag:
    15629956554835010263.jpg Just bought one in a darker wood this week at a local auction I can just make out the Ulster on the lable on the outside of the back panel the pendulum has a fast slow pointer on it that rotates as you would regulate the clock
    I had a feeling it was turn of the century age when I first saw it at the viewing

4. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

Interesting that Waterbury is the only company that attempted a kitchen/parlour clock with a bilaterally asymmetrical case (I quickly scanned Tran's books). Waterbury had just two models, in 1890, the "Ulster" and the "Clinton". The only other lack of symmetry seems to be Gilbert and Welch with the heads of presidents, generals, buildings, a ship (the Maine) and other scenes impressed in the crown piece. But, in those clocks, the rest of the case is symmetrical. From the scarcity of those two Waterburys, it appears that the idea did not catch on. Were it popular, the competing clock companies would have probably followed suit.

Jim

5. eric philipson

eric philipson Registered User

Nov 27, 2017
    Male
    welder
    newcastle upon tyne
    Country Flag:
    Hi jim
    Yes I thought it different when I first looked at the clock the fact it was not symmetrical was one of the things that drew me to it
    Eric