Waterbury black mantel Dillon model

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Does anybody know the date range of a Waterbury black mantel with a label identifying it as the Dillon model? I found very little in searching this forum or a web search.

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
Does anybody know the date range of a Waterbury black mantel with a label identifying it as the Dillon model? I found very little in searching this forum or a web search.
Can you post some pics of the clock and label so we can see ? Chris.

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
I didn’t get a picture of the label but it was very readable and said Dillon. This is my wife’s aunts clock. I was told the movement was replaced years ago with a battery powered movement by a clock repair shop. She was asking about getting a correct movement for it.

823D79EC-1F60-48DE-8756-40990F603C02.jpeg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
If that shop is still around, they may have the old movement, assuming they weren't crooks! I know of a person who was doing this and selling the old movements on Ebay and yes he did get caught.

Willie X

Last edited:

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
I didn’t get a picture of the label but it was very readable and said Dillon. This is my wife’s aunts clock. I was told the movement was replaced years ago with a battery powered movement by a clock repair shop. She was asking about getting a correct movement for it.

View attachment 727914
The reason I asked for a pic of the label is because a clock model that has a production time of, lets say 10 years, may have different label styles and or type fonts and a host of other nuances that will narrow the date down. Chris

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
She said that shop kept the clock for a long time and when they finally went to get it he had lost or sold parts from it. That is why he put a battery movement in it for them. They were not happy but that was years ago. I remember the label was rectangle with the Dillon name printed bigger in the middle. There was smaller writing on both ends. One end had three cities addresses listed but part of that end was missing. The label was on the bottom of the case.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello bpd,

I found one on Google Images that matches yours. Date given is late 1800's. See link.

Tran Duy Ly has a "Dillon" on page 317 in his Waterbury book that appeared in a catalogue in 1906 but it has significant differences compared to yours. Besides case accessory, and case finish differences (overall shape is the same), the winding holes are much closer together in the Tran book clock indicating that there is a different movement in there.

You appear to have the earlier version.

Jim

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Thank you, I will let her know. It’s sad what the clock shop did. It was her parents clock and they have both since died so she has it now.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
There wasn't that many movements used in these clocks. I know they had a regular size 8-Day and a smaller one. The small one was usually in smaller iron clocks. I think you would need the regular size movement.

Be patient, someone here will probably post a photo of what you need. It doesn't have to be for the same named clock.

Was the gong base left in the case?

Willie X

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Ok thanks. The winding holes are 2-3/4” hole to hole. Yes the gong was still in the clock.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
Measure from the hands hole to one of the winding holes as well.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
That first measurement is often 2 5/8" on American clocks ... Willie X

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Thank you Willie. I was using the aunt’s cloth tape and eyeballing it over the empty winding hole.

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
With those two sizes you should be able to find a replacement movement for it.

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Thank you all for the help. I let her know the information I received here.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Back on that winding arbor spacing. Go by what you have there. But, 2 3/4" will indicate a smaller movement. The full size movements will be close to 3 1/8".

So, I can't edit post #9, but it looks like you will be looking for a smaller movement.

If you find larger movements and don't run across any smaller movements, you may be better off to go with the larger movement and matching dial. The smaller movements generally don't last as long and are harder to repair. Possibly the reason the old movement was trashed?

Willie X

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Ok thanks. The clock is in Georgia and I am back in Florida :emoji_cloud_tornado:so I have plenty of time to look for one before I will be back up there to work on it.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Ok thanks. The clock is in Georgia and I am back in Florida :emoji_cloud_tornado:so I have plenty of time to look for one before I will be back up there to work on it.
Take care with Ian headed your way.

bpd

Sep 17, 2022
Country
Thank you. We are getting things ready in case it turns even more east

Reactions: PatH
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads