Waterbury Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Love clocks, Nov 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Love clocks

Love clocks Registered User

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Waterbury 1.jpg Waterbury 2.jpg Waterbury 3.jpg
    Bought this little Waterbury Alarm Clock today. Alarm is wound with key at bottom but does anyone have any idea how you set it? It is marked Pat. May 10 59... 59 would be for 1959?

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    To set the alarm, turn the little brass disc until the hour you wish the alarm to ring is lined up with the hour hand (wherever the hour hand happens to be when you are setting it).

For example, using the picture you have posted, where the clock is at 3.55, you can see the VIII on little brass disc is lined up with the hour hand Therefore the alarm should ring at 8 o'clock.

Just so you know - you can't turn the alarm off once it starts ringing, you just have to wait for it to run down! But it's good for waking up teenagers....

JTD

Love clocks likes this.
  3. Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thanks JTD. Already learnt you can't turn off the alarm....and it's loud! Won't be winding that again in a hurry. Pity my kids have left the roost... I used to have to wake my son with a spray bottle of iced water! Now he has to get himself up!

4. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think it's more likely 1800s. Where on the clock is the patent number found?

5. Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi Pat H. Patent no is in dial bezel at top.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It would help if you could post a clear photo of the patent date you mention - I can't see it and your photos don't enlarge. I doubt that it is referring to 1959. Please post a clear photo of this number and we may be able to help.

JTD

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    May 10, '59 is indeed May 10, 1859, and refers to a dial patent (US23950) granted to S.E. Root. I have attached a copy for those interested. It is a commonly found patent date on various makers' dials. Root also held a couple of other dial patents.

US23950.pdf

Attached Files:

PatH likes this.
  8. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    The clock, BTW, is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Waterbury clocks (vol. 1) from the 1867 catalogue, where it is called simply Black Walnut Round Top, more of a description than an actual name. I assume it is ca. ten inches tall. There was a similar one that is listed as 13" tall, but it has a wooden plaque on the front of the case.

Does the movement have the mainspring between the plates or behind the plates?

9. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    That's interesting. I knew it couldn't be 1959, but hadn't expected the patent to be quite so early. Thanks for finding it. And so the clock itself is ca. 1867-70, I suppose.

JTD

10. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    A plausible date range. Per Chris Bailey's introduction to Tran's Waterbury book, by 1867, Waterbury had opened an office at the 4 Cortlandt St. address shown on the label of Love Clocks' clock. It also seems that the earliest known catalogue featuring Waterbury clocks was the June 1867 catalogue of the American Clock Co., a sales agency in NYC that represented a number of different firms. Of course, this clock could have been made a few years before 1867.

11. Love clocks

Jun 10, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Waterbury 4.png

This it the marking...thank you everyone for all the information. Greatly appreciated.