Waterbury Addison update

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by 4thdimension, Apr 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    I've been picking up Waterbury watches signed Addison for almost 30 years now and have two (at least) theories about them. First, the N and K size watches signed Addison predate those signed with the interwoven WWCo. logo. Second, I doubt New England Watch Co. ever used the Addison name on a watch. Anyone know otherwise or have info? -Cort

2. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cort,

Somewhere I have some catalog pages and information, but can't lay my hands on it right now. I have Addison watches with N, K, W and no size. I have wondered if the one with no size was a NEWC watch or was a late Waterbury.

Pat

3. John Pavlik

John Pavlik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cort, I'm sure you have seen this site before, other than that information has been schechty... I've had a great time with these
    little duplex wonders... Tried a put together many of the fancy dials ..

http://www.oocities.org/waterburywatch/history.html

4. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a beautiful collection, John! What these watches might have lacked in mechanical ability, they certainly made up for in wonderful aesthetics: sizes, dials, cases, finishes.

The undated Waterbury Watch Co catalog (pictured below) from around 1895 included a couple of pages of fancy dials that were available for Addison and Tuxedo models at that time.

In an 1895 Waterbury Watch parts catalog (pictured below), there are parts for The Addison Movement Series W - the third watch previously pictured with the block ADDISON and small W. There are also parts listed for "The Old Addison Movement Series N" - the second watch pictured above. While this doesn't answer the question about whether Addison was ever a NEWC model, it does specify that the N preceded the W.

Will try to look through some of the other ephemera for other clues this weekend.

5. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Pat... When I return home I will post the lessor seen aluminum movement ... if your interested ..

6. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Definitely interested, John. I've read several articles in "The Waterbury" magazine where they were touting the wonders of aluminum. Would love to see the actual product!

7. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Pat that is a wonderful catalog! It also blows up my theory that the Addison signed watches predate those with the interwoven WWCo.. That was based on two ads from 1892. One has pics of the N and K with the WWCo. logo. The other ad states "The word WATERBURY (in fine type) and the interwoven letters W.W.Co., without which no watch sold as a Waterbury is genuine." The May,1893 catalog depicts N and K watches with the WWCo. logo but also states " The above watches have either "Waterbury" or "Addison" dials and plates as desired." The 1895 catalog doesn't appear to offer the N size but only the thinner W size. We know that Waterbury changed its name to New England Watch Co. On July 1, 1898. The NEWCo. Catalog of 1900 lists no K,N or W size watches. So the information now seems to indicate the WWCo. and Addison signed watches were offered concurrently. I still doubt NEWCo. made any Addisons. Thank you Pat for providing the pics from your catalog. And John, your collection looks terrific!-Cort

8. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting findings, Cort. Thanks for sharing. Somewhere I think I've seen some written discussion about which models were WWC and which were NEWC, and I don't know if the Addison was discussed. It seems it was in the Research news section of one of the smaller format Bulletins. Although I thought I had a photocopy of it, I don't find it in my WWC/NEWC binders right now. Will keep looking as I am far behind on scanning, photographing and filing.

John, have you noticed any markings on your Addisons that would provide further insight?

Thanks!
    Pat

9. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    #9 4thdimension, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
    The grades named in the New England Watch Co. 1900-1901 price list no. sixteen are: the S 10L Elf, 15L Z Cavour, Os O Queen Mab, 8S L/W Senator, 10S L/G Rugby, 14S R Berkshire, 14S G Cruiser, 14S Scout, 18s J Americus. A nice note at the bottom of the page reads "A four-jeweled duplex movement is the same as a seven-jeweled movement."

10. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the additional info. Do you have a Berkshire or Cruiser of which you could post pictures? Berkshire I've heard of, but Cruiser is a new one to me.

11. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Pat, I have neither. I've had a Berkshire before but Cruisers are new to me too. Thank you again for the 1895 catalog pics! The 1893 has no color and no fancy dial pics. The emphasis is on the fancy cases. -Cort

12. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pat, A photo of a "N" size aluminum movement..

13. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice box, John, love the way it nestles in it. Looks very cozy.

14. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very interesting, John - I have a Series N like your pictured watch, only with a brass movement and in a silver case. Could this be another identification/dating twist for Cort?

Attached is a photo of an Addison in a box - not sure if it's original to the box, but I did buy them like this. The box says Roman 1045 Addison on the end. There isn't an Addison 1045 referenced in the catalog that I have. Cort, is there one in your catalogs?

It seems there is also an Addison case - this one has a Tuxedo movement.

The plot thickens?

15. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pat, your ads show this Columbian movement as discontinued... Mine is a hunter cased movement, haven't seen another, have you ? It's approx a 6 size movement ..

16. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I read once that Waterbury trademarked the name Columbian in preparation for the 1893 Columbian Exposition (Chicago World's Fair). Not sure how far in advance that was, but I also noticed that my catalog said it had been discontinued. Judging by the scarcity relative to some of the other models, it wasn't used for long. The only one I've found (that was in any condition to buy) was this one in a Dueber coin silver case.

By the way, the December 1893 issue of The Waterbury (in the NAWCC Library) included this brief article advertising mourning watches, so it's possible that the "gun metal" watch with the black dial that you have in your collection might have been worn during a period of mourning - or it might be that someone just found it attractive - like I do!

Cort, I hope you don't feel we've hijacked the Addison discussion. I think it's helpful to look at all of the WWC and NEWC models and try to apply some sort of dating, and I hope you feel the same.

17. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Pat, my focus is on Addisons but I'm interested in all Waterbury history. I'd retitle the discussion "Addison and other Waterbury" if I could start over. I started picking up the Addisons when my son was born (yes, Addison) and have accumulated way too many. Some I consider scarce or even rare (ever see a nickel K size?). But I have numerous Cavours and Elfins too that I've saved for my daughter. These are the only watches I collect. It is nice to know a few others share interest in this company.-Cort

18. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How interesting - Addison was one of the middle names we considered for our first child. I hadn't even thought of that connection.

Along with ephemera, I collect dollar watches - primarily WWC, NEWC and a few Knickerbockers made by NEWC, and Ingersoll, as well as World Fair watches. This has only been over the last 10 years, so not an extensive collection. Learning from long-time, knowledgeable collectors like you and John is invaluable. Thank you!

Here's one that I'm not sure whether it's WWC or NEWC. Any ideas?

19. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    [QUOTE=PatH;
    Here's one that I'm not sure whether it's WWC or NEWC. [/QUOTE]
    I see no reason to doubt it is a NEWCo. product. I've never seen one like it before. Very cool! -Cort

20. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pat, the 2 Mourning watches are identical movement, dial and hands... The cases differ as seen in the photos, with one plain, the other a fluted design.. I'm still looking for an example with the larger face and crystal, if they were ever made that way ...

21. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice! Love the gold crown and bow. Thanks for sharing them side by side.

Time to show that I don't normally focus on the movements....Question re the aluminum movement - how can I tell an aluminum movement as compared to a steel? Were they marked?

22. 4thdimension

NAWCC Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    The aluminum ones really are lighter in the hand. You can tell without opening the case. I'm fairly certain there were no movements with steel plates, only gilt and nickeled brass and a few aluminum ones. -Cort

23. John Pavlik

NAWCC Member

Dec 30, 2001
    Male
    Green Bay, Wi
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Cort, they are just a light watch... 2nd though, remove the back cover, the plates just look like bare aluminum.. kind of a dull vs the shine of nickel..

24. PatH

PatH Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, Cort and John! I'll have to open all of the backs again and see what I have.

These later NEWC watches definitely look different - a Scout G and a Cavour.